Java Runtimes

Kramy

Hi. I'm having some trouble getting those java runtimes to work on my GP2X-F200. :lol:

It starts, and displays a java logo; then it blinks, and for a split second there's a mouse in the top left corner. Then it goes black, and 2 seconds later it starts making this buzzing/humming/droning noise, which it keeps making until I turn my GP2X off.

Found this on the SD card. Maybe it has a clue as to what the problem is?

Those files(libsdljava.so, libsdljava_ttf.so, and libsdljava_mixer.so) are located in sd\jamvm\sdl; could their location on the SD card be messing it up, or is it unrelated? Maybe GPH introduced some new incompatability with their 4.0 firmware that I don't know about? :rolleyes:
System is linux...
Setting up for GP2X...
DLOPEN ERROR: /mnt/sd/jamvm-cp/lib/classpath/libsdljava.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
DLOPEN ERROR: /mnt/sd/jamvm-cp/lib/classpath/libsdljava_ttf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
SDL subsystem initialized: 1.2.9
framebuffer=SDLSurface[flags=2147483681, width=320, height=240, pitch=640, format=SDLPixelFormat[bitsPerPixel=16, bytesPerPixel=2, palette=(NO PALETTE), rLoss=3, gLoss=2, bLoss=3, aLoss=8, rShift=11, gShift=5, bShift=0, aShift=0, rMask=63488, gMask=2016, bMask=31, aMask=0, colorKey=0, alpha=255]]
backbuffer=SDLSurface[flags=0, width=320, height=240, pitch=640, format=SDLPixelFormat[bitsPerPixel=16, bytesPerPixel=2, palette=(NO PALETTE), rLoss=3, gLoss=2, bLoss=3, aLoss=8, rShift=11, gShift=5, bShift=0, aShift=0, rMask=63488, gMask=2016, bMask=31, aMask=0, colorKey=0, alpha=255]]
joystick=sdljava.joystick.SDLJoystick@40407eb8
DLOPEN ERROR: /mnt/sd/jamvm-cp/lib/classpath/libsdljava_mixer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks!

Java don't work with the F-200. It seem to suffer from the "changed audio hardware" problem just like SDL and Allegro.

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
Java don't work with the F-200. It seem to suffer from the "changed audio hardware" problem just like SDL and Allegro.

Regards,
Stephan
:blink:

Well...crap... :lol:

Okay then, it appears I need to learn a new language - one that isn't java. Either that or figure out how to get java to work. Got any suggestions for someone that does lots of web scripting, and finds java syntax tolerable, but not C syntax?

I guess I'll check out PyGame and "Fenix", to see what they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parkydr said:
C++ is nearer in syntax to Java
Yeah...but not really close enough for my liking. Java is on the edge of being okay to me. :p I learned it because I needed to learn a "real" programming language; not because I like the syntax.

C# though...that's really quite close to Java, and it avoids all the -> :: stuff, etc.

I see that Mono runs on ARM CPUs. Anyone know if it's possible to get it to work on a GP2X? There's nothing listed on archive.gp2x.de, so if it's possible I'll probably have to figure out how myself? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, well I'm going to hazard a guess and say getting Mono to run will be as easy as getting Java to run.

Time to take the plunge - what language would you recommend I learn? C? Is there anything closer to javascript syntax, but also runs acceptably well, and actually works on a GP2X? (Probably not)

If not, got any good resources for C? I don't need tutorials for the language; just working examples, and I can figure the syntax out. I'll need GCC; is there any particular version you'd recommend, or do they all work fine?

Is the GP2X devkit still relavent for the F200?

Sorry for all the newbie questions - but I might as well get them out of the way. ;) Maybe you can point me to a tutorial/thread/blog related to creating GP2X apps in C?

Edit: Well this looks more promising than the devkit. :D

I took the plunge and jumped from Java (coding since '97) to Fenix.

Fenix is far from perfect; it has strange quirks and strange ways of phrasing certain things like loops (repeat, while, until, for, etc). And curse the Spaniards who created this fine product, it doesn't have double or long primitive types. But it was what my very favourite gp2x games were coded in, and the support here on the forums has been excellent, so I'd recommend it. I've been able to push it pretty hard and get it to do some things I'm certain the original authors didn't expect. :)

I think in the end though it depends on what you're trying to do. Fenix is tuned towards having multiple graphics jumping around the screen working as individual processes (think pacman). I've been evil and bent it to my will, but I've occasional thoughts that what I was trying to do might be better in some other language.

My relative newb impression is that Fenix will get you the fastest to "Hello World" and "Dancing square". Other languages require significantly more commitment/understanding of SDL, etc.

Back