Java

ORFJackal

Still Fresh
Website
www.orfjackal.net
Are there plans on porting Java to Pandora? I see that Debian has OpenJDK 6 for armel architecture. Is that compatible with Pandora's ARM processor, or is some more porting required?

OpenGL bindings for Java (JOGL and LWJGL) would also need to be ported, to make Java games on Pandora feasible. How hard work would that be?

I'm a Java developer myself, and I would love to be able to use Java on Pandora. :)

I'm pretty sure someone will (eventually) port one of the Java runtimes, but I haven't heard of any plans yet.
I hope someone will, anyway, as it would make it somewhere between trivial and automatic to port across a large library of existing software.

If Debian has ported it already, it can be available on launch (if the official devs don't package it for the Pandora, anyone could do it in a matter of hours).
What remains to be seen is how good is tho performance of that port, some better optimisations could end up being desired.

About the bindings, the main problem is that they need to be adapted to work with OpenGL ES, but even that should be relatively easy.

+1 on hoping someone will port/adapt Java (bollocks or no!).

In 128Mb of RAM, I'll be curious to see how the JVM does. But I like Swing, the Java language is fine, and the emergence of other languages running on the JVM only makes it more attractive to me.

In addition to the afore-mentioned large base of software that should run more-or-less instantly.

--Todd

tef said:
+1 on hoping someone will port/adapt Java (bollocks or no!).

In 128Mb of RAM, I'll be curious to see how the JVM does. But I like Swing, the Java language is fine, and the emergence of other languages running on the JVM only makes it more attractive to me.

In addition to the afore-mentioned large base of software that should run more-or-less instantly.

--Todd
The sun's mobile jvms run perfectly fine on cellphones. Though I doubt writing full blown swing apps for a mobile device would be a good idea. Best route would probably be take Sun's OpenJDK which already compiles for ARM and run with it.

Back