GP2X Kernel 2.6 And Other Updates

SaguratuS

Still Fresh
I've got some good news - the company I work for may be using the GP2X as an embedded solution for some new specialized equipment that's in design.

If this is the final decision, this means we will be porting the latest arm-linux 2.6 kernel along with many other utilities (gcc4 and friends). Getting an entire gentoo base system up could also be on the horizon.

Never would've thought that this little thing could become the heart of some industrial hardware :blink:

Edit: It's highly likely that we'll be able to make all modifications available as they're completed, however the business-types will have the final say. The GPL mandates the release of the modified source code once the product goes public, but until then, I can't guarantee anything.

That's confusing. What would it be doing? Wouldn't a dedicated ARM9 computer without all the extra niceties like an LCD or game-style controls be better suited for most industrial applications than the form the GP2X is in?

Epicenter posted on Sep 25 2006 at 06:30 AM said:
That's confusing. What would it be doing? Wouldn't a dedicated ARM9 computer without all the extra niceties like an LCD or game-style controls be better suited for most industrial applications than the form the GP2X is in?
You'd think so, but the application it'd be used in utilizes most of the features of the gp2x (lcd, basic input, connectivity, etc). The cost is also a big factor, and the gp2x gives us a pretty decent starting point for porting.

One thing I'd like to see us do is implement a real time clock, but sadly that's unlikely to happen as it'll always be in a networked environment

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good SaguratuS .. I'm also using GP2X as a development environment/platform for embedded systems work .. its quite a handy little computer, so why not embed it in things ..

Apropos: RTC .. its possible to get some RS232-based RTC solution implemented, with a quick kernel module to poll the time/update itself on boot .. but like you say if you're going to be implementing these in a network situation, no reason not to use timesync to solve the problem on bootup as well ..

I you look up ELDK (Embedded Linux Development Kit) on the web and go to version 4.0 of their kit there is a 2.6 kernel there already packaged and their kit already includes the cross compileing tools. It is Linux based so they do not have a windows version but for me that wasn't a problem since I do way more linux development than windows.

icurafu posted on Sep 25 2006 at 03:15 PM said:
I've got a little secret at but I used a GP2X as a part (webserver) to a major prototype for a multi million dollar project. A simple webserver in 1 hour is awesome.
que?

SaguratuS posted on Sep 25 2006 at 08:16 AM said:
I've got some good news - the company I work for may be using the GP2X as an embedded solution for some new specialized equipment that's in design.

If this is the final decision, this means we will be porting the latest arm-linux 2.6 kernel along with many other utilities (gcc4 and friends). Getting an entire gentoo base system up could also be on the horizon.

Never would've thought that this little thing could become the heart of some industrial hardware :blink:

Edit: It's highly likely that we'll be able to make all modifications available as they're completed, however the business-types will have the final say. The GPL mandates the release of the modified source code once the product goes public, but until then, I can't guarantee anything.
sounds nice :D ]

make sure to show us the final product :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a working gp2xdev-20060525.tar.bz2 (70.58 MB) that I could get? The one in the archives is short by 40 MB at least. Can't build a kernel module with the current application tool chain.

Back