Kickstarter for TV out Cables

If you would like a TV Out cable for your Pandora, would you back a Kickstarter Campaign for product

• Yes

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No, Kickstarter is not the way to do this

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • No, but I would if they could be produced for $15 delivered

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised to see more people wanting a full size cable with male connectors. My guess is it will be a lot cheaper to the end user to buy a mini cable as planned + the extension cables they require than a full size Pandora TV out cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that a short cable/adapter would be best. Those who need a longer reach can get something extensions. Part of the Pandora's appeal is its' portability (cables should also).

Yes, I also would like an Audio-IN and with the current Microcontroller craze (I myself use Arduinos and have put off a Pi or Beagle in the hopes that I could use the Pandora itself or Pandora+Arduino.)

So, GPIO would be most Excellent! A Simple female block that jumpers could be run from the Pandora to an Arduino or Breadboard. Similar to the Pi.

I'm surprised to see more people wanting a full size cable with male connectors. My guess is it will be a lot cheaper to the end user to buy a mini cable as planned + the extension cables they require than a full size Pandora TV out cable.
Me too, I think a short dongle is the best of both worlds, cheaper to produce, it's easy to travel with and If I need a longer cable I can just buy a longer AV cables.

This was a quick cable I made just for TV out(Yellow is really Left audio channel). This was kind of like what I envisioning.. just with Audio In and Maybe the GPIOs too.

2013-03-18_09-58-29_898.jpg
I know official cables are ought to be available soonish, but I'm be interested in short cables too... Would you be willing to make and sell one like yours?

200mm long still sounds pretty compact and portable to me - fold it in half and it's much narrower than the pandora.

Normally when specifying cable length you include the length of the connectors, but I don't know if ED was referring to a total length of 200mm, or using 200mm of cabling in the manufacture of the cable. Either way I would suggest thinking twice about how big 200mm actually is (it's less than 8 inches, for old schoolers) before spending extra time and money on other solutions.

I think the idea is that you buy a short pandora-specific cable with female connectors, then a long ubiquitous male-to-male cable to link it to your TV/whatever.

20cm is probably too short for direct connection anyway

Well, that could work.  But I still prefer the long male cable.

However, I guess it will be majority rules - and as long as it IS useable to me, I would still buy one...even though I already own one.

By the way, Road Fighter is awful fun to play on the TV screen!

I agree that a short cable/adapter would be best. Those who need a longer reach can get something extensions. Part of the Pandora's appeal is its' portability (cables should also).

Yes, I also would like an Audio-IN and with the current Microcontroller craze (I myself use Arduinos and have put off a Pi or Beagle in the hopes that I could use the Pandora itself or Pandora+Arduino.)

So, GPIO would be most Excellent! A Simple female block that jumpers could be run from the Pandora to an Arduino or Breadboard. Similar to the Pi.
Arduino and rPi user here.  I wonder if the gpio should be it's own breakout.  A nice sturdy pin platform, like you said, could be used to jumper to an Arduino shield.  I don't think I would want a cable made for a TV out demand; with gpio just tossed in as an extra bit.  Rather than one bulky connector that supports everything you use multiple ext connectors.  It has also been said that gpio users should have the ability to make their own connector.  While I believe this to be mostly true it is contrary to the rPi community based on getting children into building electronics.  They do not have the technical skills to make their own connectors and have the same and some better programming capabilities on the rPi with the support of break out kits catered to specific concentrations that require no soldering. If you could just plug a pandi into an arduino you would be opening the door not just to a new user group, but in my opinion increasing the range in age demographic.  

They have to be male cables or I am out.

My TV needs male connectors, not female ones.
Binky is correct.

Using a small cable with female connectors you can choose the length & type of cable required for you. Some people might need just SVideo & audio out, some might want Composite with audio in &  out, some might want 5M cables, some might want 3M cables, some 10M etc.

My guess is the expense of producing a full size cable with SVideo, Composite, Audio In & Out would be prohibitive.

For reference, expect to pay less than $5 each for a 5M male to male SVideo cable and a 5M male to male audio cable.

I also guess you're not a compulsive tech. hoarder like me with a big box of legacy / old cables just waiting to be used ;)

The final cable will probably look like this, but with a few extra input / output connectors and a Pandora connector instead of a VGA connector.

Could one of our most excellent Mods please lock this topic as recent events have left the idea of running a kickstarter to fund TV out cables somewhat redundant. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back