King Of Fighters Tips On Gngeo

Jester

Website
Visit site
I've always been in to fighters but i've never really played any of the awesome looking modern 2D fighters and i would like to give them a try on gngeo.
So i was just wondering if any of you 2D fighting gods had any tips for King of Fighters 96 and 2002, or knew any decent sites with move lists etc.
Secondly what buttons on the 2x represent what buttons on the neo geo because i can't find that info anywhere for some reason. :blink:

Start = Start
Select = Insert Coin/select
X = A
B = B
A = C
Y = D
Stick = Stick

Same as standard NeoGeo pad layout.

Not sure about guides, possibly someting on gamefaqs.com?

Jester posted on Mar 8 2006 at 01:38 PM said:
Secondly what buttons on the 2x represent what buttons on the neo geo because i can't find that info anywhere for some reason. :blink:

It's in the readme file <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
NeoStuey posted on Mar 8 2006 at 06:47 PM said:
Start = Start
Select = Insert Coin/select
X = A
B = B
A = C
Y = D
Stick = Stick

Same as standard NeoGeo pad layout.

Not sure about guides, possibly someting on gamefaqs.com?

Ahhh cheers that will come in very handy :).

Is it in the read me oh right ok sorry, i should of checked there but didn't let's be honest.
*Edit* Huh it's on the wiki too how did i miss that :ph34r:.
But as i say the main reason for the post was just to get some tips and tricks from any 2D fighter fans (fave characters, characters that work well together etc). I have scanned through gamefaqs but didn't find much of intrest.

Well, GameFAQs is the best place to start for movelists (even better if you can find one with descriptions of the moves). A good idea is setting your GNGEO to home-mode, so you can access the practice-mode.

If you're familiar with the Street Fighter games, then good people to start out with are Ryo (some of his moves are [very] similar to Ryu's and Ken's - because he started out as a ripoff of them, though has grown into his own character with many original moves), Iori (who's a nice mix of a Fireball/Uppercut-character, but with some more SNK-esque things thrown in) and Terry Bogard (who handles a bit differently from the other two, but is both strong and easy to handle, and might ease you into using the other, more odd characters). Also, all three of the above are in every KoF game (except the first, where Iori hadn't been introduced yet), so if you know their moves in '96, you'll be able to handle them pretty well in '02 (even though some moves are usually changed a bit, or removed or added).

They're not necessarily the best (for you), but they should be good transition-characters, to introduce you to the game.

Once you know the above three, K' is a strong choice and so is Kyo, though his moves might take a bit of practice.

Deevee posted on Mar 8 2006 at 07:34 PM said:
Well, GameFAQs is the best place to start for movelists (even better if you can find one with descriptions of the moves). A good idea is setting your GNGEO to home-mode, so you can access the practice-mode.

If you're familiar with the Street Fighter games, then good people to start out with are Ryo (some of his moves are [very] similar to Ryu's and Ken's - because he started out as a ripoff of them, though has grown into his own character with many original moves), Iori (who's a nice mix of a Fireball/Uppercut-character, but with some more SNK-esque things thrown in) and Terry Bogard (who handles a bit differently from the other two, but is both strong and easy to handle, and might ease you into using the other, more odd characters). Also, all three of the above are in every KoF game (except the first, where Iori hadn't been introduced yet), so if you know their moves in '96, you'll be able to handle them pretty well in '02 (even though some moves are usually changed a bit, or removed or added).

They're not necessarily the best (for you), but they should be good transition-characters, to introduce you to the game.

Once you know the above three, K' is a strong choice and so is Kyo, though his moves might take a bit of practice.

Thanks alot man that'll be very helpfull, i was wondering how i could access a practice mode (i've been playing with gngeo set on arcade so i haven't been able to access it) and now i know :)
I have been playing with ryo and your right some of his moves are quite similar to some of ryu's stuff off street fighter.

Thanks again this is very helpful.

I'd always suggest Terry Bogard as a good beginners character as he's strong and quick, his regular moves are pretty simple (although he's only got one regular 'projectile' move), and his specials are fairly easy to pull off and connect with.

Jester posted on Mar 8 2006 at 08:55 PM said:
Thanks alot man that'll be very helpfull, i was wondering how i could access a practice mode (i've been playing with gngeo set on arcade so i haven't been able to access it) and now i know :)
I have been playing with ryo and your right some of his moves are quite similar to some of ryu's stuff off street fighter.

Thanks again this is very helpful.
Also, learn when (and how) to roll from the start. It's easier to get a feel for to when to do it if you start early on.

It's best to get a good grasp of the basics first, but don't be afraid to use people like Kyo. His moves will seem very confusing at first, but once you've done 'em succesfully a few times, it'll be second nature. But like I said, it's best to get a feel for the system before you start learning the more advanced characters.

Whats painful on Gngeo is the stick really lets 2d fighters down. It's really hard to get a decent quater stick perfectly done.

But on the upshot it gives you great practice on general parrying and deflections. I.e Reading blocks, good combos of simple punches and kicks etc.

Phil posted on Mar 8 2006 at 11:51 PM said:
Whats painful on Gngeo is the stick really lets 2d fighters down. It's really hard to get a decent quater stick perfectly done.
I disagree, but then again, I had a Neo Geo Pocket Colour to get used to it with. At first it can be rather tricky, but once you get used to it, you wish you could use a thumbstick with all your fighting games. With a d-pad, I can pull of the Raging Storm (down-back, half-circle back, down-forward) maybe half the time (while doing the actual motion, not the HCF-HCB-HCF shortcut), but with the thumbstick I can do it about 9 times out of 10. :D

Deevee posted on Mar 8 2006 at 06:14 PM said:
Phil posted on Mar 8 2006 at 11:51 PM said:
I disagree, but then again, I had a Neo Geo Pocket Colour to get used to it with. At first it can be rather tricky, but once you get used to it, you wish you could use a thumbstick with all your fighting games. With a d-pad, I can pull of the Raging Storm (down-back, half-circle back, down-forward) maybe half the time (while doing the actual motion, not the HCF-HCB-HCF shortcut), but with the thumbstick I can do it about 9 times out of 10. :D

Me being extremely good in KOF2002/98, one of the things that you have to learn is that button mashing will get you nowhere. Unlike in most Capcom games... *cough OK, no more Capcom bashing.

Anyway, one of the things you have to learn is the moves: 100%, in and out, what they do, what's their range, what do they connect to and what can you do before to connect to it. Not only so that you could do it, but you can know what to expect from an opponent. Vs the CPU, it shouldn't be hard, however.

One other thing: stick to styles you like. I prefer the throwers (Shermie is a DAMNNNN good thrower), but it's up to you otherwise.

Also, the GP2X has a weird controller, even with DaveC's cap. I'm scared to try KOF2002, not because I do not know how, but because I'm afraid I might break it trying to do K9999's supers or the super throws...

Back