Kiwi Kraze / The New Zealand Story

Poobik The Hare

Still Fresh
Available on many retro systems, Kiwi Kraze has to be one of the best platformers around.
Starting with appealing characters through to catchy jingles, KK gives a recipe for total addictiveness.

image5001.jpg
NES

The game starts off with an evil walrus taking a whole bunch of kiwis (although they look more chick
than kiwi). However, he has missed one (you), and now it's payback time as this kiwi heads off for
revenge and to bring back his buddies. Well...... that's how the game usually starts, but in this review
of the NES conversion, that part is missing although it does appear on other conversions of the game.
Anyway, The graphics are colourful, crisp & clear (on the NES version)and there's a brilliant little tune
that plays along with some nice spot effects.

image5021.jpg
NES
image5041.jpg
C64

Although the initial levels are fairly easy (growing harder as you progress), you must complete the levels
at a reasonable pace as if not... a devil will arrive and home in on you.

image5061.jpg
Amstrad
image5081.jpg
SMS

After a couple of levels you will encounter the bosses with some being somewhat harder to kill than others.
to help on your quest, you will use a variety of weapons that include laser shots, bombs, fireballs etc.
On shooting an enemy it may leave a weapon, fruit or the letters E,X,T,E,N,D Collecting all these letters will
result in an extra life.

image5101.jpg
Megadrive
image5121.jpg
PC Engine

KK takes you up, down, around and across all sorts of things, with arrows indicating the direction you want to
go in when it isn't clear. There are spiked floors and ceilings to avoid, numerous holes to leap and, just
before things get repetitive, you are obliged to change your mode of transport, whether it be to don a
diver's mask and swim underwater (if you can hold your breath long enough) or to leap aboard a passing
balloon, space ship or other temporary aerial ride, each method of transport having its own control method.

image5141.jpg
Speccy
image5161.jpg
Atari ST
For instance the balloons will constantly fall if you don't counteract their movement by pressing a button,
while the space ships will hover around quite happily.

image5181.jpg
Mame

To finish, some will think that this kind of game is quite girlie in play and looks, but I say (with a deep butch voice)
lovely game play, lovely grafix, give it a whirl... :wub:

"obscure titles" New Zealand story was bigger than the the beatles!

Very cool review :)

I've enjoyed New Zeland Story for quite some time, playing mostly the NES,Genesis and Mame versions but I never knew there were so many others!! There's also a sequel.

Cyclops posted on Aug 28 2005 at 12:14 PM said:

Obscure to me since I was 2 when the Genesis version came out, and that was probably one of that last versions released. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyclops posted on Aug 28 2005 at 04:14 PM said:

who are the Beatles? ;)

I love this game, I used to play it in the arcades way back when

you should have included a screen shot of the amiga version, which was much like the nes in terms of the graphics being very close to the arcade

Hmm... i played the C64 version, but was very annoyed that the secret portals were missing... they were there in the coinup version, when we played in the arcade!!! .. did any of the home-systems version actually have the secret portals ??

Topcat posted on Aug 28 2005 at 09:13 PM said:
Hmm... i played the C64 version, but was very annoyed that the secret portals were missing... they were there in the coinup version, when we played in the arcade!!! .. did any of the home-systems version actually have the secret portals ??

the NES & ST has them

Wildheart Baby posted on Aug 28 2005 at 07:45 PM said:
you should have included a screen shot of the amiga version, which was much like the nes in terms of the graphics being very close to the arcade

i would have if it was emulated on GP32

Nice review, these multi system reviews with screenshots are cool.

IIRC some of the conversions had a different level layout to the arcade, more like part 2.

I used to play this on the Amiga and spent many hours on this awesom game. This is always on my SMC on the PC-Engine emu. Great review. Good that so many people get to play again or for the first time. This is what retro gaming is about. Long live the gp32_console thru the GP2X.

Excelent Review...

I loved this game, the gameplay and difficulty level is perfect and you really doo feel sorry for old Tikki when he gets an arrow up the bum, that sorry sounding Squeek Squeek Squeek Squeeeeeeek , awww poor thing.

One of my fave versions was on the Amiga, and if I remember correctly, typing in "FLUFFYKIWIS" gave you infinite lives :D

Back