Launch Apps

All I want are RTF reading/editing, a video player that will play most of the common downloadable formats like MKV and a few strong emmulators that dont kill the batteries in like 30 minutes.

viridior said:
Sorry, I agree with everything you have said. I read your initial post as "shouldn't work" vice what you actually said. Probably been reading too many posts about ridiculous port questions... Sorry about the confusion.
:D Oh, good. I thought for a minute I'd made a grave miscalculation when I bought a beagleboard to prep for the forthcoming delivery of my Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
viridior said:
The gentoo-pandora image itself is untested, however many of the pre-compiled binaries that we are using have been verified to work on the beagleboard. We are making custom ebuilds to streamline the configuration process (easier with similar hardware) and you are correct about ebuilds that are ready-to-go for arm, but we have some motivated people and they are learning more about porting for ARM every day. Also whatever patches that are made with Debian/Ubuntu, Angstrom, etc can also be easily included into an ebuild and therefore added to Gentoo quickly. If you checkout this link you can see some armv7a optimized binpkgs ready now for Gentoo. http://gentoo.openpandora.org/index.php/Software_List

Are the e-builds pre-compiled packages or compile from source? When I used Gentoo stages 2 and 3 had pre-compiled packages but I'm told Portage has an option for pre-compiled. Is compiling pretty slow on the beagleboard?

Well, it's decided, as soon as I get my Pandora it's getting Gentoo. Gentoo is the only open source project I've really supported financially, both in just donations and junk I bought that proceeds went to Gentoo. When the founder stopped working on Gentoo and went to work for Microsoft it was kinda a slap in the face. It's not moving as fast as it used to though, I feel kinda bad. I know a bunch of people that were Gentoo users that switched to Debian, Ubuntu mainly, me included. I'll definitely use it on my Pandora, and maybe I'll install it on my notebook in a few days and see if I still have all the steps memorized from stage 1.

Oh wait, I was planning on getting a beagleboard just to play with, I'm still trying to find a good touchscreen to get with it though. When I have what I want figured out I'll play with Gentoo on that.

second exodous said:
viridior said:
The gentoo-pandora image itself is untested, however many of the pre-compiled binaries that we are using have been verified to work on the beagleboard. We are making custom ebuilds to streamline the configuration process (easier with similar hardware) and you are correct about ebuilds that are ready-to-go for arm, but we have some motivated people and they are learning more about porting for ARM every day. Also whatever patches that are made with Debian/Ubuntu, Angstrom, etc can also be easily included into an ebuild and therefore added to Gentoo quickly. If you checkout this link you can see some armv7a optimized binpkgs ready now for Gentoo. http://gentoo.openpandora.org/index.php/Software_List

Are the e-builds pre-compiled packages or compile from source? When I used Gentoo stages 2 and 3 had pre-compiled packages but I'm told Portage has an option for pre-compiled. Is compiling pretty slow on the beagleboard?

Well, it's decided, as soon as I get my Pandora it's getting Gentoo. Gentoo is the only open source project I've really supported financially, both in just donations and junk I bought that proceeds went to Gentoo. When the founder stopped working on Gentoo and went to work for Microsoft it was kinda a slap in the face. It's not moving as fast as it used to though, I feel kinda bad. I know a bunch of people that were Gentoo users that switched to Debian, Ubuntu mainly, me included. I'll definitely use it on my Pandora, and maybe I'll install it on my notebook in a few days and see if I still have all the steps memorized from stage 1.

Oh wait, I was planning on getting a beagleboard just to play with, I'm still trying to find a good touchscreen to get with it though. When I have what I want figured out I'll play with Gentoo on that.

We have it configured to use pre-compiled binaries by default which it grabs from the Software List I provided earlier. If a package is not pre-compiled then it will either stop, or try to compile it itself depending on your options. I will be setting up a distcc host for people that want to compile stuff for the Pandora without solely relying on it. (It can be very slow.) The vast majority of common base system and x11 packages have already been pre-compiled for armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi. As people want software we can compile as necessary. That may further be restricted on whether it is already pre-configured for compiling on arm or requires it to be ported.

If you have individual questions you can always join us on IRC @ freenode#gentoo-pandora

Great list, PlopperZ - there are several things I had missed, here. :D I've got another one to add - the media-player XMMS. It appears at around 5:16 in ED's "Pandora MK2 Devboard - Browsing in a Matchbox" video, and remains there until the end.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

As there seems to be some interest in Gentoo, you might like to look at and contribute to the main Gentoo discussion here.

viridior, I don't know if you want to summarise the posts here in that thread?

viridior said:
TaG said:
As there seems to be some interest in Gentoo, you might like to look at and contribute to the main Gentoo discussion here.

I can do you and the entire community one better. Happy New Year!
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=684268

-ViridiorThanks for the link and the wiki page is impressive. Well done Team Gentoo!

TaG said:
viridior said:
TaG said:

I can do you and the entire community one better. Happy New Year!
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=684268

-ViridiorThanks for the link and the wiki page is impressive. Well done Team Gentoo!

Thanks, I just posted another update and I hope this will create some excitement...
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=684546

Back