Lemonboy2X Updated

and will this one have GBA support....? Can I have the moon on a stick please?

Sorry, the Moon is way too big to fit on a stick that you could hold. But seriously, it would make no sense for an emulator made primarily for original Game Boy to emulate Game Boy Advance as well. There is a separate emulator for that called GPSP, and no, that emulator does not support original Game Boy games as well. Emulators do not work the same way as the real machines.

I only asked 'cause a real GBA can play GB/GBC games, and some PC emulators support all gameboys so it's not out of the realms of possibility (I even noticed a GBA option in Lemonboy.. was that a mistake?). Great though GPSP is, I know it doesn't emulate GB/GBC (though I never tried rom emulators written for the GBA, I know there were some 'cause I had them for my GBA flashcart - I did try the BBC micro emulator on GPSP with no luck) and it does have room for improvement.

I'm always delighted to see any new release for the Wiz and my question wasn't meant disparigingly. I also expected it wouldn't be doing GBA hence my statement about the moon.

Thanks for the reply, and damnit, one day I will get the moon on a stick - you wait and see. As a kid having a device that could play c64 games that could be carried in my pocket seemed just as far fetched - the Wiz can do that and a whole lot more to boot.

Why arent you using a z80 to arm dynarec? theres a couple around that could greatly increase the speed of the emulator.

Pickle said:
crow_riot said:
i just downloaded source from the archive and looked at it for a few minutes. i'll think the easiest way for me is to hack something together like libcastor with sample code how to use. it's not a big thing, so it should be done in the next few days. the idea is: create a 320x240x16bit pixelbuffer as virtual framebuffer, draw into that. then use glTexSubImage2D to update an 512x256-sized opengl texture. and use either a fullscreen quad (2 triangles) or the glDrawTex extension with correct texcoords to display the subpart only. no magic about that, straight forward. :)

sounds good

New beta version pickle.gp2x.de/lemonboy2x-wiz.zip

I merged in juanvvc fullscreen/aspect video modes. They look good and are decently fast.

the GL framebuffer solutions seems to be too slow to be really useful.

i was looking around in the lemonboy source and found, that there's a way to use YUV pixel/videoformat. pollux supports hardware based converting a YUV buffer to a texture usually for video players. so, this could be a solution for lemonboy tearing. i'd help if someone wants to try that out...

Last edited by a moderator:
crow_riot said:
the GL framebuffer solutions seems to be too slow to be really useful.

i was looking around in the lemonboy source and found, that there's a way to use YUV pixel/videoformat. pollux supports hardware based converting a YUV buffer to a texture usually for video players. so, this could be a solution for lemonboy tearing. i'd help if someone wants to try that out...

Im following the anti-tearing dicussions. Lemonboy isnt a cpu hog so im fine with letting the cpu do it, unless you really want to try this method. Ill help i can, are you interested in svn access?

New version:

added wiz hw timer seems to have helped the sound, so i lower the sample size sync'ing it up better.
added rotation code, no more tear, added mmuchack (warm)
fixed volume number
flickering text fixed from rotation changes
various code cleanup

pickle.gp2x.de/lemonboy-wiz.zip

Edit: finding 400 Mhz good for greyscale game and 500 Mhz for color

Thanks for the above update Pickle, it now runs flawlessly. :)
I brought this subject up on an earlier post:

Neil L said:
On the subject of palettes & different systems, this got me thinking, could this function be added (as on the original hardware)? (This was sort of copied from Wikipedia!)

When playing an original Game Boy game on a colour system, the user can choose which color palette is used. This is achieved by pressing certain button combinations, namely either A or B (or neither) and a direction key while the Game Boy logo is displayed on the screen.

Key combination / Palette
(Could all these palette colours be added to the palettes folder also, so they match the original GBC palettes?)

Up / Brown
Up + A / Red
Up + B / Dark brown
Down / Pastel mix
Down + A / Orange
Down + B / Yellow
Left / Blue
Left + A / Dark blue
Left + B / Grayscale
Right / Green
Right + A / Dark green
Right + B / Inverted

These palettes each contain up to ten colors. In most games, the four shades displayed on the original Game Boy would translate to different subsets of this 10-color palette, such as by displaying movable sprites in one subset and backgrounds, etc. in another. The grayscale (Left + B ) palette produces an appearance essentially identical to that experienced on the original Game Boy.

In addition, most Game Boy games published by Nintendo have a special palette that is enabled when no buttons are pressed. Any game that does not have a special palette will default to the dark green (Right + A) palette. Notable games that do have preset palettes are Metroid II: Return of Samus, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Super Mario Land, Tetris and the Wario Land series.

Super Game Boy titles will work too. Despite compatibility with Super Game Boy titles, the Game Boy Color will not recognize the coloring header for Super Game Boy titles which have a color graphics system of its own.

At the moment all the B&W games start in B&W when set to the 'Gameboy Colour' option. (Instead of the 'special palette' as mentioned above)
If this could be done (even if it's with a pretend 'Game Boy logo' screen at the start of the games when you can enter the button presses to change the palette)
If this can be fixed could the B&W Gameboy be added to the options? So B&W games stay B&W on the GB setting, but colour on the GBC setting. (If colour palettes are supported by the game!)
Seperate settings for GB/GBC/GBA/SGB/SGB2 would also be nice. (eg. So different frames/screen sizes etc. can be used for different emulated hardware, hopefully SGB & SGB2 will be fixed soon)
A confirmation on the load option would be good also. (As it's only on the save option at the moment)

Could this be done, or am I hoping for a moon on a stick!
Cheers, Neil

Hey Pickle, I just tried the latest version and noticed that whenever I load a game the sound defaults to its highest setting. Previously if I had lowered the sound during one game and loaded another the sound setting remained at its previous volume so I don't have to adjust it every time I load a different ROM. Not a huge issue, but if possible can this be corrected? Also in the options screen, if you set sound to off, the games completely freezes when you load them.

MiOdd said:
Hey Pickle, I just tried the latest version and noticed that whenever I load a game the sound defaults to its highest setting. Previously if I had lowered the sound during one game and loaded another the sound setting remained at its previous volume so I don't have to adjust it every time I load a different ROM. Not a huge issue, but if possible can this be corrected? Also in the options screen, if you set sound to off, the games completely freezes when you load them.

The volume is just a side effect from the volume number being fixed, the configs for the game were set to the max value and now that being used. Just rerun the rom and lower the volume and the new value will be saved.
I will try and see why the sound off doesnt work.

Back