Lightweight x86 Linux distro needed

3_bit

So I need a distro that I can use with AutoCAD that is very lightweight. The computers we use at my school have an i5 Sandy Bridge and HD 2500 graphics. We use windows 7 right now, but there's some server problems, so I need something fast that I can use AutoCAD with. I would prefer to use a 4GB flash drive, but I have a 64GB SSD I can use.

AutoCAD is a commercial software. Running the latest Versions on Wine doesn't seem to be possible.

it seems to depend on the version of autocad you want to run but lets say '08[autocad in winedb] seems to run well with ubuntu 12.04, so I would say it would be possible to run it in lubuntu, xubuntu or bodhi and all have 64bit versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the experiances I've had, Crunchbang linux has been the only one that works well from a flash drive.

Also a word on puppy linux. It's interface is pretty good, and is an all around good lightweight distro, but because it's its own thing, you don't have a good selction of software.

Crunchbang is debian based, so that will give you a pretty good selection of programs.

Puppy Linux used to be its own thing, but isn't any longer - there's 2 main releases: 1 version is compatible with Ubuntu packages, the other version is compatible with Slackware.

I haven't tried it, but theres another Ubuntu-based lightweight desktop called Linux Lite - here's an oddly relaxing review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3ymWiLfjYu8?feature=oembed

It might be worth your while to check out aptosid. If you like debian's package management and either XFCE or KDE-Light, it could be a good match for you.

"aptosid is a full featured Debian sid based live CD with a special focus on hard disk installations, a clean upgrade path within sid and additional hardware and software support. The ISO is completely based on Debian sid/main, enriched and stabilised with aptosid's own packages and scripts ..."

http://aptosid.com

Back