Linaro......good News For The Pandora!?!?

We'll see, said the Zen Master.

In theory, yes, better tools shared in common between ARM platforms would be a good thing.

Considering, I believe I read that the first release is meant to optimise things for the Cortex A8 family (I guess generally on Linux) that'll benefit us hopefully.

Just wish there was a non-binary driver, that people could hack on for the SGX530. I think that'd help the most.

It's good news but I wouldn't get too excited over this. I've seen big companies say they'll back Linux and in the end do very little. I'm not saying that they don't contribute, it is just very small for so much fanfare. The tinsy bit they do put out is taken by the Linux community and used though, so this is a good thing.

Also, huge companies are slothful slugs, nothing in a big company is done with any kind of speed. Funny thing is some companies say what they want to do for Linux and then a few hackers just go and do it before the company even gets out of the meeting.

Drack said:
Qualcomm is completely absent from this announcement.

Qualcomm doesn't actually use the Cortex-A series processors. They licensed other ARM designs and built their processors off of them (i.e. Snapdragon).

So, I guess they're not really on the same page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back