Linux on GP32?

Actually rico pointed out a really handy linux PDA

Agenda VR3

I am using the linux drver from that to get linux to work with the ericsson chatboard and also getting software done for keyboard in a notepad kinda application etc.

But please note Me and GP32DEV are working on the chatboards i found the source code for the chatboard and he is trying to compile it for the gp32.

So please dont bug gp32dev as he doesn't have much time.

But yeah there is already a driver for chatboard on the gp32 so were all good to go for the keyboard :) well i am at least :p

:ph34r:

I ment dont bother gp32dev in that chatroom #gp32dev :D

but yeah dont bother any1 about the chatboard till its been looked at proper.

The Dude Posted on Oct 12 2003, 05:10 PM
What kind of modifications are required to get the chatboard connected to the GP32?

All you have to do is remove the ericsson connector and wire certin pins to a gp32 ext plug :) its bery simple all u need to know is how to solder.

:ph34r:

I have put the files in the right places but when i boot it up it still says "cannot find kernal!!!" or something like that, what am i doing wrong? i have the normal version of pc-link if that makes any difference

im really tired, i'm ina bad mood, but i want to attack this compiling the kernel thing. i have looked (briefely) through the mizi sources and can't find anything realted to gp32/smcs, but i still have hope. i just need someone to tell me what to do to compile the kernel ;)

lets keep the stupid/vauge/annoying "what can i do with linux" questions out of this topic. there is another topic somewhere for that. there are tons of things you can do with linux on your gp32, such as pda uses, it may even make writing software for it MUCH easier for people used to linux, it would be something to show off to your geek friends saying "can your gba do that? huh? huh?", you can see a little penguine on you gp32 when it boots up if someone makes a bootloader firmware ;) (which would be damn cool, hint, hint) ;)

Has anyone thought of creating a "Live" type distro for the GP32, at least until we can get proper SMC support?

For those of you who don't know what a Live Linux distro is, it is a Linux OS that is loaded intirely into the system's memory. This lets you use Linux without needing access to a mountable file system.

Of course the GP32 has very limited memory, but it should be enough to get the basic kernel and some programs loaded, since Linux can be booted from a single 3.5 inch floppy disk (1.44MB).

in order to make a live distro all you would have to do is make it think that root is a certain point in memory, but you couldn't load any programs unless it had smc support ;) or you loaded them inot memory with the bootloader B)

Sure, you would load the programs at boot with the rest of the OS.

This would give us a chance to experiment with different SMC drivers without recompiling the kernel every time.

i found the smc drivers in the mizi kernel, but i still need some help!!! in order ot add these drivers do i just copy them into the right folder? :( and, when i get to having linux as well as a fat12 partition on my smc will root need to be at the beginning of the partition or wherever i want? where can i get the gp32 linux kernel source code with all the patches applied? thanks

i don't know how to set up this compiler :( i'm kindof newish to linux, i've played around with it before but now is my first time compiling a kernel. i wish that SOMEONE (empee...) could tell me how to set this up :(

di i have a kernel? what the heck does that mean? i have A kernel, not one with smc support tho...

Back