Linux Screen Tearing Solutions

Klumpen

Run away! Run away!
Ok, every time I install a new (version of a) distro or a new driver, I have to use another fix and have to look them up, so let's just have a nice little place for solutions to this problem here so that people stop enduring all the dreadful screen tearing regardless of all activated vsync options in the system settings (compiz, nvidia-settings, etc...). I'm tired of this problem popping up everywhere with no or cluttered solutions.

I have three fixes for the proprietary Nvidia driver (I know, I know...but it's damn fast and working really well) by now and apply them all just to make sure - works splendid for me, no more tearing. If you got more solutions for different drivers and cards, please post them.

Tearing fix 1:
add
CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
CLUTTER_VBLANK=True
to
/etc/environment
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if this didn't work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
creating "/etc/x11/xorg.conf" (if not existent) for fix 2 and 3
1. install "nvidia-settings" via appget or synpatic
2. open "Nvidia XServer Settings" -> X Server Display Configuration -> Save to X Configuration File

Tearing fix 2:
1. Open "/etc/x11/xorg.conf" as root
2. Almost at the end of the file you see 2 lines with options:
Option "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
3. Change the second line to this:
Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
still no cigar?
Tearing fix 3:
Add to "root/etc/x11/xorg.conf"

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disabled"
EndSection
PS: Back up the original lines by copypasting them and putting a # sign in front of it to change it in to a remark.
To make sure the file in its new configuration is used you have to reboot.

PPS: I'm currently using a GeForce GTX 750 in Linux Mint 18.

Ql1dsZC.jpg

Last edited:
Using the radeonsi oss driver (tested on a 7750)

1) Use a compositor - if you're using gnome3/kde4+ it should use a compositor by default anyway. If not, something like 'compton' can be used.
2) Enable the following fragment in the xorg.conf.d (IE I put this in a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10radeon.conf to get auto-included by X)
Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier   "radeon"
   Driver     "radeon"
   Option     "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

Back