Looking for a game developer

Given how progress is going, most people (myself included) are probably waiting for the official PND release now ;)
But if I only get thoughts about things it doesn't do, how can I gauge how well it does what it does do? Bugs and control issues can be fixed now, rather than updating the finished .PND.

Bugs and control issues can be fixed now, rather than updating the finished .PND.
Okay, had a quick play last night. Looks good. From a control point though, the menus make refences to what I assume is game buttons, but the game buttons don't do anything, you have to tap the screen.
Also, on the very first profile menu - you can use the arrows to select Load or Create Profile, but they also have keys associated with them.

Could I suggest that if keyboard navigation is going to be supported (and I hope it is, I'd like to play it without the stylus) that you use [A] and [Y] as shortcuts (all the menus I've seen only have two options), and fix [X] and as "accept whatever I've selected".

Finally, on the images where there's a blank column, rather than filling with crosses that look like when you miss, could you possibly just shade them, or pattern fill?

Other than that, it's looking good!

the menus make refences to what I assume is game buttons, but the game buttons don't do anything, you have to tap the screen.
there are still missing elements (eg Tutorial, music, sfx, Game Over, button controls for menus)
Keyboard controls/buttons etc. will be completed in the next update. I did mention that it wasn't fully supported in that WIP. I'll obviously check for conflicts when it's all working.

If there are more menus than two, they will each have a gaming button allocated to them. I've never liked Y as an option button as it always seems further away than the others and not as immediate to press. Strange but true.

With regard to blank columns/rows and filled crosses, does any other Picross game offer an alternative so I can see if that's better?

Thanks for the feedback - it all helps to make the game better :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are more menus than two, they will each have a gaming button allocated to them. I've never liked Y as an option button as it always seems further away than the others and not as immediate to press. Strange but true
Okay, if it's going to be one button per menu option, being able to select with the dpad will be very confusing, because you can select "Create Profile", but if you press a game button other than whichever one it was, rather than selecting Create, it'll Load or whatnot.
With regard to blank columns/rows and filled crosses, does any other Picross game offer an alternative so I can see if that's better?
I've never played any Picross games. So this is feedback from a "new player".
I'll try and play some more over the weekend

I know what you're saying with regards to game buttons and D-Pad for selecting and understand it completely. I was looking at immediacy in the demo - ie just press one button and you're at the next option. In using the DPad you'll have to move to the specific option and then press an action button. Keyboard controls in a game like this really are an addition rather than the main control scheme. But I understand that some users don't like the touchscreen and are fearful of scratching it (I've used it daily for years with no obvious damage). But the game does also offer Nub controls as an extra alternative. The controls are elements I need to work on and work out what's best, now that the main game itself is as good as done. Losing the one button per menu is actually high on the agenda right now, as it has to be consistent all the way through. So yeah, expect it to go.

To me, touchscreen is the ultimate control method for these types of games, which is what I've concentrated on and why I stated that controls on the menus aren't in yet. The final version should hopefully cater for every control taste :)

I've never played any Picross games. So this is feedback from a "new player".
And it's very valuable. Thankyou :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back