looking for an artist or another mr. driller clone

dsh

Still Fresh
Website
byteboy.x25.pl
The thread (main post) is copied to http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49382-looking-for-an-artist-or-another-mr-driller-clone/. Please write only there. I didn't realize this was temp forum. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I'm working on a Mr. Driller clone. First of all, the project popped into my head more than a year ago. (I've already posted about that on one of the forums but I can't find the topic unfortunately.)
It was intended to be a fun programming exercise. I wrote sprite engine, baseic framework menu and few things and then there was a long break. Few months later I rewrote everything from scratch but I had other things going. Few days ago I picked the project up once more.

So what do I have?

• - General framework (changing screens [with fading-between], etc.)
    - Highly modular design. (easy to port to different H/S platforms, separated graphic routines)
    - Full opengl acceleration. (should be compatible with OGL ES, maybe with few changes)
    - Simple but effcient sprite engine with:

• * rotation
      * alpha blending
      * full color alpha-channelled sprites
      * full speed animation
      * scaling
      * resolution independence (automatic scaling)
      * bitmap fonts
    - Now working on game mechanics: Just finished super-fast algorithm for determining which bricks should fall, player can walk around, destroy bricks (I can post a video shortly if you want).
    - Planned: uber-cool particle engine for your eye-candy fast-paced action.
    - Pure C for coding pleasure ;)

I spent tens of hours trying to make artwork because I don't like testing with placeholders and wanted to do everything myself. And they are still lame, no artistic skills here.
The initial concept was to replicate the look'n'feel of the orignal series - colorful high-res rasterized vectors, cheesy music. The working titles were: "manic driller", "drillerman".

The latest idea is:

• - Lets call it something like "d-man". High-res (as much as we can pack) pixelart graphics, cold colors.
    - Lets make the main character a badass, the story a lot less childish (any ideas?).
    - After I finished replicating the main game mechanics I plan to enhance the gameplay.
    - Speed it up. Lots of action on the screen (ex. the particle engine!).
    - 8bit music? To get in the mood browse http://www.8bitpeoples.com/discography.

It probably isn't the right place to look for artists but I don't know where to look and don't want to register tens of new forum accounts. And, of course, I've seen a lot of talented pixel artists on these forums willing to do the job like this.

I need an artist to make the artwork. Probably many res versions or a big one downscaled for smaller screens or maybe a small one (800xsth) upscaled on bigger displays - we can work it out.
No money involved - source released on latest GPL upon completion. I can do the porting for mobile platforms if you provide me with testing.
I want to do it the pro-style, no compromises - a polished final product. I can promise that if the game is finished you will get all the credit in-game and in everything in connection with the game.
If something happens and I can't finish the game I will release the source I have.

I can make theming support later so you can completely mod the game but I need only ONE artist for the default theme.

You could get the impression that I'm difficult to cooperate with, but It's false - I am open for ideas and willing to change my view if you convince me. Of course, the final word belongs to me, I don't see it any other way. I will provide detailed specs for the graphics so you can work without having to ask questions every 5 minutes.

I recently discovered miss driller and the fork driller2x, but I still think that there is place for my idea. BTW Driller2x has graphics ripped off the orignal, licensing anyone?
I examined source of miss driller and It's a bit difficult to work with so I don't think that apart from dirty hacks it can be of any use as far as real enhancement is concerned.
And I don't think that my code is beautiful, but seriously, what is that 2k lines of spaghetti doing there?

So let me know what do you think. Cheers,
Filip

PS Write here or contact me directly at pinkeen_amonkey_gmail_com.

EDIT:- I found the old topic in case anybody's interested: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/t ... s-support/
- I didn't work on the game during weekend but I think I'll be able to finish basic game mechanics on Monday and will post some demo videos.
- I would like to state that I am not, by any means, depreciating work of miss driller and driller2x developers. Just my idea happened to be similar (and I needed to justify my work). They did really good job. And I am being sincere here. So thank you and keep up the good work guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome idea. I love the Mr Driller games. I've bought the Dreamcast, Xbox Live, and GBA versions. I would definately be interested in a Mr. Driller clone for the Pandora.

Hello.

I do a bit of pixelart, I can do sprite animations. Tell me what you think, if this is the style you are looking for then maybe I could help. I also have many many, MANY characters of my own that could be made into games, if this game works then who knows. my work is available to view here at http://.www.atombat.com

A couple of names I thought of

Drill-Thrill/Driller Thriller
Drillion
Drillboy
Drillkid
Drill Blitz
Drill-Elite

Cant wait for my pandora :)

P.S. I can do 8-bit music too.

Here's a simple sketch of the design's I can create, if this helps.

Drillbot power-up?

Back