Loose Battery Cover

Nuron_V

Hello

Does anyone else have a problem with their battery cover being extremely loose?
The battery clips don't seem to fully latch in to place, its more like they are just providing a resistance. It isn't really an issue while I'm holding the unit however if I put it down it is usually enough to dislodge the cover. This usually coincides with me then picking it up to show someone something only to find I've left the battery on the table.
The cover also doesn't latch if I remove the battery so its not the battery causing the cover to bow or bend.

Here's a nasty close up of my battery cover latches - there is a 1mm wide slot into which the case should clip, and the 2 latches sit slightly under the rest of the back cover.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsh2/4725150676/
Viewed from the side, the battery cover is not flat, but it is secure. I can bend the corner pulling it out with a nail, and the clips still do not come loose.

I guess your battery cover is missing part of the moulding on the clips, or there is some distortion preventing the retention from working properly. As a short-term fix, try some tape (assuming you can get a replacement shipped). On the opposite side to the 2 spring clips, there are hooks which fit securely under the case, so I am surprised your cover seems to fall off rotating about the opposite axis to the hinge...

Once you have the lid on, are you taking a finger and pushing the tabs towards the back of the case to click them into place? Your video doesn't show how you apply the cover or I couldn't see it. It plays all jumpy for me on my computer. The lid is tight for obvious reasons and some variances in the thickness and placement of the battery covering can make some tighter than others. If you are just pushing the lid down and not making sure the lid tabs catch inside the case, the battery will definitely fall out.

Sadly I am pushing the clips firmly, they make a "thum" sound rather than a click like it isn't clipping in to the notch. The clips themselves have been like this since I received the it, the first time I put it in the case it came out with the cover off.

Compared to tsh's picture mine did look like the angle was slightly different so I have just flexed clips out to about 30 degrees and when I push it on the clips now make a much more positive noise. It is difficult to tell if it is that much tighter now as I'm provoking it to go wrong so I will try to use it as normal and report back tomorrow

Nuron_V said:
Sadly I am pushing the clips firmly, they make a "thum" sound rather than a click like it isn't clipping in to the notch. The clips themselves have been like this since I received the it, the first time I put it in the case it came out with the cover off.

Compared to tsh's picture mine did look like the angle was slightly different so I have just flexed clips out to about 30 degrees and when I push it on the clips now make a much more positive noise. It is difficult to tell if it is that much tighter now as I'm provoking it to go wrong so I will try to use it as normal and report back tomorrow
If the clips don't appear to be physically damaged, it's possible the battery's covering is just a bit thicker in places. It's an issue we have to take up with the next batch but shouldn't be something that can't be managed quickly I hope. Maybe you could try taking the battery out and rubbing down the wrapping to try to make sure it is as tightly around the battery as possible. Don't squeeze the cell to the point of deformation of course. Check the area near the battery terminals to see how badly the label makes the 90 degree bend as it moves from the hard raised PCB to the soft cell itself. Usually this doesn't really affect anything but it's worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think it's the battery thickness. Try closing it without battery inserted. Does that click together and is tight?
If yes, as MWeston said, try to rub down the battery wrap.

Even with the battery removed the clips click don't seem tight. The cover will pop off if I brush my hand against the side if it.
With the battery fitted the weight of the battery itself sat on the cover is enough to make it come off 8 out of 10 times it pick the Pandora up.

There doesn't appear to be anything visibly wrong, there is nothing warped or warn on the clips themselves or the rows of plastic that they are meant to clip on to.
Using ED's prototype video as a reference , watch from about 22 seconds to 36 seconds
My battery cover certainly doesn't make that positive snapping noise when I push the clips, although i expect the plastics used on the prototype are different so it may be misleading.

I'm at work at the moment without a decent camera so I can't take any useful photos/videos of it clipping in, I will try to do this later

Back