Mame Launcher

Cristallis

Still Fresh
Hey guys. I'm trying to get my MAME emu working. I put it and the folder GPMAME in my GPMM folder and the ROM in the game folder and tried to see if it worked. It didn't so i moved the game in the GPMM folder and it still didn't work.... any suggestions?

• Wrong forum (but that's ok)
• You didn't read the README that came with MAME 1.7, now did you? It clearly tells you where to put all the files.

LOL! Amazing that people still refuse to just READ the readme.txt files. :p Authors go through all the trouble of making an emu, and THEN sit down and write a detailed readme file to make using it dead easy, only to have some people ignore it completely. <_<

Excerpt from MAME GP32's readme:

4. INSTALLATION
---------------

\GPMM\mamegp32.fxe -> General frontend to select games
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mclassic.fxe -> Emulator for about 500 classics: Pacman, Frogger, Donkey Kong, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\matari.fxe -> Emulator for Atari games: Tetris, Klax, Gauntlet, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mcapcom.fxe -> Emulator for Capcom games: Ghosts'n Goblins, Commando, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mdataeas.fxe -> Emulator for Data East games: Shootout, Oscar, Karnov, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mirem.fxe -> Emulator for Irem games: Vigilante, Kung Fu Master, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mkonami.fxe -> Emulator for Konami games: Contra, Yie Ar Kungfu, Track & Field, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mnamco.fxe -> Emulator for Namco games: Motos, Xevious, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\msega.fxe -> Emulator for Sega games: Zaxxon, Wonder Boy, Pitfall 2, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mtaito.fxe -> Emulator for Taito games: Bubble Bobble, Arkanoid, Tokio, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mtechnos.fxe -> Emulator for Technos Japan games: Double Dragon, Renegade, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mtecmo.fxe -> Emulator for Tehkan/Tecmo games: Bombjack, Rygar, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mvector.fxe -> Emulator for vector games: Asteroids, Tempest, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mwilliam.fxe -> Emulator for Williams games: Blaster, Defender, Joust, Robotron, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mothers.fxe -> Emulator for other games: Snow Bros, Terra Cresta, Pang, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\CFG\ -> Configuration files
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\HI\ -> High Scores
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\JOY\ -> Analog joystick configuration files
... etc.

Read the actual file for the rest. ;)

Cristallis posted on Aug 29 2005 at 01:31 AM said:
Hey guys. I'm trying to get my MAME emu working. I put it and the folder GPMAME in my GPMM folder and the ROM in the game folder and tried to see if it worked. It didn't so i moved the game in the GPMM folder and it still didn't work.... any suggestions?

you should have the following folders inside the MAMEGP32 folder

CFG
HI
JOY
ROMS (your games go in this one, I put the Asteroid roms in it to try)

also put the various Mame .FXE emu files in the MAMEGP32 folder as well

then put the MAMEGP32 folder and Mamegp32.fxe inside the GPMM folder.

load card into GP32 and turn on
select mame from your menu
it will load and read your roms
select game (I select Asteroids Rev 1)
on next screen I press A, wait a few seconds and the game is ready to play.

hope the above helps. I always find it odd as to why people take the piss or ask that you read instructions when replying to a help request. like they must have been born with all the knowledge or they are complete dick heads.

P.S.
make sure your roms are for use with MAME 0.34

Last edited by a moderator:
Poobik The Hare posted on Aug 29 2005 at 11:46 AM said:
I always find it odd as to why people take the piss or ask that you read instructions when replying to a help request. like they must have been born with all the knowledge

You know the old saying - give a man a fish and he can eat for a day, teach a man how to fish and he can eat for a lifetime?

THAT is why you tell someone to read instructions.

And while you may find it mean, I find it more deplorable that people will download a free program but won't bother to read what the author has to say about it.

And the comment about "born with all the knowledge" simply doesn't apply. The knowledge comes WITH the emulator - in the good old readme.txt. I didn't need to to born with it, neither do you or anyone else - all you have to do is just double-click readme.txt and all is revealed. ;)

Anyway, usually I'm pretty nice to people. But this is just a personal pet peeve of mine. People should read the readme's. Then if they still have trouble, at least they can say they tried.

Prophet posted on Aug 29 2005 at 12:07 PM said:
Poobik The Hare posted on Aug 29 2005 at 11:46 AM said:
I always find it odd as to why people take the piss or ask that you read instructions when replying to a help request. like they must have been born with all the knowledge

You know the old saying - give a man a fish and he can eat for a day, teach a man how to fish and he can eat for a lifetime?

then teach the man instead of telling him to read the instructions

THAT is why you tell someone to read instructions.

no, that is why you give help from experience gained

And while you may find it mean, I find it more deplorable that people will download a free program but won't bother to read what the author has to say about it.

perhaps the authors instructions were not as easy to understand as YOU may think, a helpful reply would hopefully make it easier to understand

And the comment about "born with all the knowledge" simply doesn't apply. The knowledge comes WITH the emulator - in the good old readme.txt.

I read the....
1. INTRODUCTION
2. CONTROLS
3. EMULATION OPTIONS
4. INSTALLATION

and I thought, could be explained a lot easier, but those with the knowledge, would just breeze through it (you know, the likes of YOU). others may need a simpler form of help, not a stupid READ THE INSTRUCTIONS reply

I didn't need to to born with it, neither do you or anyone else - all you have to do is just double-click readme.txt and all is revealed. ;)

apparently we are not all born the same way

Anyway, usually I'm pretty nice to people. But this is just a personal pet peeve of mine. People should read the readme's. Then if they still have trouble, at least they can say they tried.

so it would have made it alright with you if the poster had of said HELP ME GODS, FOR I HAVE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BUT HAVE FAILED TO FULLY COMPREHEND THE MEANING THERE IN, PRETTY PLEASE HELP. what a knob..

what a knob..

And i suppose your post helped this tread or the original poster in some way then, Rudeness always does.

If you are so against people posting RTFM, Read the readme.txt etc that MOSTLY comes with downloaded programs, Why did you not give some help to the original posted by give some instructions for them to get it working, Instead of being rude to people that did post at least some help to get them started.

Lets see what the original posted has to say, Whether reading the readme.txt has helped them, Or they missed it, Or could not understand it.

Trooper

trooper posted on Aug 29 2005 at 01:21 PM said:
what a knob..

And i suppose your post helped this tread or the original poster in some way then, Rudeness always does.

i hope that my post did, have a look see, a few posts above this one.

trooper posted on Aug 29 2005 at 01:21 PM said:
Why did you not give some help to the original posted by give some instructions for them to get it working, Instead of being rude to people that did post at least some help to get them started.

read my original post.

hint.... look above, 3 or 4 posts should get you there.

Poobik,

Open your eyes - you're acting like a bigger "knob" than anyone else has in this thread. Calling people names online doesn't impress anyone.

And I pointed out precisely what section of the instructions to look at, so once again your example doesn't apply. And no, unlike you - I don't believe people are too stupid to understand instructions if they take the time to read them. I don't think you or I possess some super powers because we can read instructions. Saying the guy can't understand the word "installation" is much more insulting than telling him to read the instructions.

There are simply some very lazy users out there, who refuse to read text files. Not because they don't know they're there. Not because they can't understand them. But because they don't feel like reading them. I've seen it so many times, I know it's true.

I can count on one hand how many times I've asked for help after reading the README, and still have a few fingers left over.

Are you just pissed off that Cristallis didn't read the README and got called out for it?

Seriously guys. I've got 8 emulators to work on my GP32, all of which i had to read the readme file. I might have a bad emulator, because the only instruction in the file was to install the .fxe file under GPMM. There is no JOY, ROM folders or anything. I dowloaded MAMELauncher off of this site, and still no luck. I asked for help because i needed it. Its not like i'm lazy just trying to get a handout, or else i would have asked you about every other EMU i've pu on it.

Well I have no idea why you didn't get the readme.txt inside as well, I have 1.7 dl'ed from this site as well and it's definitely in there.

Anyway, if the folder doesn't exist, then you have to make it.

But if you unrared/unzipped the MAMEGP32 file, it should give you a premade folder hierarchy. You only need to just copy the whole thing to SMC. I'm looking at it right now:

GPMM
-MAMEGP32
--JOY
--CFG
--HI
--ROMS

There is supposed to be a MAMEGP32 folder where the rest of the FXE's are stored. Make sure you unzip the file properly with all folders intact, otherwise it won't work correctly.

If you still can't see the folders, you probably have the wrong ZIP file or it's corrupted for some reason. Download and try again - http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,600

Back