Megadrive Emulation

Alghazanth

I have been trying lots of md emulators (from the latest ones to ones not updated for years) but unluckily none of them works good for me. Here are details

Kega Fusion ;
Doesn't detect my gamepads' direction buttons on controller config. I have 2 usb gamepads and both have the same problem. When it says 'press the button for up(down left right)' if I press the dpad buttons or move the analog stick it doesn't see them. But if I press regular buttons it is mapped normally (which is rather unplayable).

I use the gamepads with tons of other emulators ,including but not limited to mameplus,snes9x,pj64,virtuanes,zinc,vba,...without any problems like that so I guess it is a software related issue

Gens (Surreal) ;
Runs ok with gamepads , but when I switch to full screen it automatically becomes 640 x 480 , even if I configured 'full screen res = 1024 768' . And together with low resolution , all graphical filters I can apply on window mode are disabled for some reason.

Regen ;
The one I (have to) use at the moment.Has no filters like 2xsai or more detailed options , but works good with both high res full screen and has a good relationship with gamepads. I wish it was more compatible with sonic hack roms, though

Any ideas , suggestions or just chat about md emulation are highly welcome

thanks

Gens:
Go to graphics --> Render --> choose 'Interpolated'

This is a tiny change setting that can make or break the emulation of Mega Drive on this emulator; try it and tell me :)

Kega Fusion -
I had this problem as well, but once you figure out how to do it it makes you feel like a proper dufus! Anyway, in the controller options, where you've selected 6-button pad or whatever, next to that it says "Use", and there's a drop-down menu. Click on that, and choose USB pad, and it should work.

Kega's a fantastic emulator; I've never had any problems with any MegaDrive games, and it does Game Gear, 32X, Master System and Mega CD too. There's a few Mega CD games I can't get to work (like Popful Mail and Time Gal), but it plays Sonic CD and Snatcher superbly, so no major gripes there.

Have fun.

Gens:
Go to graphics --> Render --> choose 'Interpolated'

This is a tiny change setting that can make or break the emulation of Mega Drive on this emulator; try it and tell me smile.gif

Thanks for the tip. It is nice indeed ; but I wish I could really change the resolution of the full screen

Kega Fusion -
I had this problem as well, but once you figure out how to do it it makes you feel like a proper dufus! Anyway, in the controller options, where you've selected 6-button pad or whatever, next to that it says "Use", and there's a drop-down menu. Click on that, and choose USB pad, and it should work.

Kega's a fantastic emulator; I've never had any problems with any MegaDrive games, and it does Game Gear, 32X, Master System and Mega CD too. There's a few Mega CD games I can't get to work (like Popful Mail and Time Gal), but it plays Sonic CD and Snatcher superbly, so no major gripes there.

Have fun.

Thank you for the infos.But I already select usb pad from there and still don't work. Here's a screenshot

787024_kega.jpg

I'm not really a fan of graphical filters or crazy resolutions on emulation , but I just want to play with 1024x768 res on my 17' monitor ; apply a filter such as 2xsai , and want my usb pad's direction buttons work...maybe I want too much things at same time ;)

I also browsed through emulators' homepages , searched forums but found almost nothing...(registering was troublesome)...

thanks all very much and more ideas , suggestions are welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not very elegant, but you could try one of those joypad to keypad programs. I've just done a quick google and these two came up as reasonably popular:
ControlMK
Joy2Key

Back