Microsoft IllumiRoom Concept

Whoa! Did you spot supertuxkart at 0:48?

Typical MS research - awesome, but pointless

Last edited by a moderator:
this exact same thing happened to me once when I was trippin in the 60's - true story

Looks awesome, should hopefully be reasonably affordable in a year or two.

If this concept ever does become reality then I'd love to see it running with a lightsynth / visualiser. It would be great for parties / chilling sessions.

@ Binky, good spot, I thought it was Mario Kart.

What an ugly kludge. Simply get rid of the tv and buy a HD projector instead. You can fill an entire wall with borderfree graphics that way.

I thought this looks nice, added ambience for the games, I'd rather this than a straight projected image of the normal TV output.

Will have to see how much it is costing though

What an ugly kludge. Simply get rid of the tv and buy a HD projector instead. You can fill an entire wall with borderfree graphics that way.
This is supposed to give you the hi-def game in your centre vision with extra stuff at the peripheral. If you bought a projector it would be the same hi-def game only much bigger. Granted, that is exactly what I prefer as well, but it isn't what the tech demo was trying to accomplish.

By the way, the first science fiction book that imagined wall-size flat panel displays was Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.

I am living in the science fiction of my childhood.

Back