Mk1 3.3v Ext

I

i_am_a_noob

I was wondering if there is any hardware mod that could be done that would make my EXT port output 5v? I want to do some USB hosting :)

But whatever i plug in, lets say a usb host thingy. I need yet another power chord for it, but i guess i could run the gp2x on battery and run the usb thingy on power chord, but it would be nice without needing the use of batterys.

The MK2 provides voltage to USB devices on its EXT port but it's not very much current. I'm sure you could cut the trace to the USB VCC line and attach a stronger source e.g. the point used for +5 VDC in the Hackaday internal USB port modification to the pin on the EXT slot to allow .. Bear in mind that might burn through your battery pretty damned fast with the right devices.

art103 has sold a USB Hub for you some time ago. It used the 3.3V and transformed it to 5V, but this was possible to 125 mA max, so most USB Devices wouldnt run on it.

Emu&Co posted on Aug 19 2006 at 02:14 AM said:
art103 has sold a USB Hub for you some time ago. It used the 3.3V and transformed it to 5V, but this was possible to 125 mA max, so most USB Devices wouldnt run on it.
What do you mean most? Keyboards, Mice, Gamepads, memory sticks, SD readers, small flash-based mp3 players are all fine. Obvious power hogs like transmitters and spinning hard drives don't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digikey searches time out after like 15 minutes... you'd have to post the keywords/filter selections you used, or part number.

using that IC one could simply get any voltage directly from batt and step-up to +5vdc usb power, its 125mA limitation is quite a good factor, as current in the batteries will rise up to 200mA or more on full load

but this IC is dip sized, wich can lead to size problems I think (altough I've never opened mine) and smd sized can be quite hard to solder

BradN posted on Aug 20 2006 at 05:45 PM said:
Digikey searches time out after like 15 minutes... you'd have to post the keywords/filter selections you used, or part number.
whoops, didn't realize that. Anyway, I suggested the MAX751CPA; I haven't tried it myself, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back