Mobile Broadband expansion: Worth Waiting?

CCmachined

Planning on buying a mobile broadband stick (In the UK). Vodafone's plan makes the most sense to me, no monthly plans and no "top-ups" that last only a month :lol:

I know this'll work with the pandora as its a USB 2.0 device (E160 / K3565) and identical to the USB 1.1 E220, but just wondering if the price will drop (startup or price per GB) from now til july(most likely) when we'll hopefully have our Pandas.

Thoughts? Any good/bad personal experiences with mobile internet dongles?

Don't take a contract. I bought an eeepc with a 2 year contract. I found it to be unusable on busrides and generally too bulky to use while on the go. So I switched to nokia 770 and later to just a phone (5320). The thing that happened when I switched to a phone was that they would not combine a data plan (that I already had) with a voice plan, because the dataplan was on contract. So now I carry two phones, one for the net and an another one for voice and sms.

Other than that, I haven't had problems with dongles or 3g coverage (well, more or less obviously, it's 3g land over here and I live in helsinki).

OK, some problems with the dongle (been awhile so I forgot), on the eeepc it would not make a connection on the dongle every time I turned it on, I had to unplug the dongle and make the connection again. It might not sound like a big thing, but when you have 15 minutes and you spend five to make a net connection, it becomes an exercise in futility.

You can thank the dongle manufacturer for that piece of inane hardware design; I still use the special tool (huaweiAktBbo) to force the dongle out of usb storage mode on my linux box, which works acceptably (still wasting a minute or two) but I can rarely get it working on my windows machines at all. <_<

Back