Mobile Phone Games

thumpgun

Zombie club life member
Website
Visit site
is anybody working on a way to play mobile phone games on the gp2x ?, an emulator than can run these games would be awesome and as most of them or 2d and use basic buttons , i think the gp2x would be an excellent home for them... :blink:

J2ME (now just JavaME) is my thing, I write mobile apps by day. JavaME is a subset of JavaSE, not that I have ever done this, but; it seems to me to be possible to write some SE java to harness a MIDlet and get it to do somthing.

A wrapper for the input layer and one for the graphics api. You would end up implementing the whole MID profile whos packages include:

javax.microedition.io
javax.microedition.lcdui
javax.microedition.midlet
javax.microedition.rms

javax.microedition.lcdui.game - for the most part you would not need this
javax.microedition.media - nor this
javax.microedition.media.control - nor this
javax.microedition.pki - probably not this either

So it seems to be possible, there may even be a reference implementation somwhere provided by sun, that you could port. However you'd probably find that the time would be better spent elsewhere. Most freely available mobile games are really simple, a rewrite would be easier, the ones that are more interesting tend to be paid for would be hard to get hold of.

So it seems to be possible, there may even be a reference implementation somwhere provided by sun, that you could port. However you'd probably find that the time would be better spent elsewhere. Most freely available mobile games are really simple, a rewrite would be easier, the ones that are more interesting tend to be paid for would be hard to get hold of.
There are open source projects like microemulator that provide implementations for j2se, but j2me is such a terrible platform that there may be complications. Most actual implementations are very buggy, so games must be written with workarounds for handset specific bugs. A port of a game written for a particular model of phone may not work properly on a correct implementation. (not to mention screen size and art variations, missing buttons and functionality such as networking)

There's also BREW, which is at least more consistent between handsets, but I believe Qualcomm's licensing prevents anyone with the SDK from releasing an emulator (and I don't know of any open source projects to start from).

And there's WIPI, but few games are written specifically for it, because few carriers use it.

AFAIK, there is no way to get any commercial cell phone games for any platform without actually having a cell phone. And if you have the cell phone, why not just play the games on the device they were designed for? The only reason I can think of for doing this is if you are actually writing the games yourself and want a shortcut to port to the gp2x or want a hand held emulator that's easier to load than the phone during development.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are open source projects like microemulator that provide implementations for j2se, but j2me is such a terrible platform that there may be complications. Most actual implementations are very buggy, so games must be written with workarounds for handset specific bugs. A port of a game written for a particular model of phone may not work properly on a correct implementation. (not to mention screen size and art variations, missing buttons and functionality such as networking)

There's also BREW, which is at least more consistent between handsets, but I believe Qualcomm's licensing prevents anyone with the SDK from releasing an emulator (and I don't know of any open source projects to start from).

And there's WIPI, but few games are written specifically for it, because few carriers use it.

AFAIK, there is no way to get any commercial cell phone games for any platform without actually having a cell phone. And if you have the cell phone, why not just play the games on the device they were designed for? The only reason I can think of for doing this is if you are actually writing the games yourself and want a shortcut to port to the gp2x or want a hand held emulator that's easier to load than the phone during development.

because the phone keys or rubbish for playing these games, my fingers or huge and i end up pressing 2 or 3 buttons at the same time...as for the games, they or easily got from web sites (( as long as you own the orginal ))....there or thousands of these games and having an emulator that can run them all would be great.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back