Moderating the software news section

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
Hi there,

We have seen many threads in that sections that shouldnt be there :

- threads about software release on others plateform (but not on a pandora ; even close sources one)

- threads about a release not created by it's packager ( being the coder / porter) thuss clearly misleading (incomplete to wrong informations, no screenshoot nor good description)

At least I do have reported many of them.

The other board have theses sections moderated. While there is less reason to do it here (the news dont go to the front-page here) I do see a point of making sure no garbage enter here.

I for one would like to see it new threads there moderated first (with a passthrough for known devs)

opinions ?

Is it really needed to require mod approval to post there? Would be a minor hurdle for new devs. Are there that many inappropriate threads? (maybe I don't see them because you report them so quickly)

I would just keep doing it like we do it now: report inappropriate posts, let the mods hand out warning points or bans if needed.

(maybe I don't see them because you report them so quickly)
Not _that_ many. But I repported many of them. Up to now, the mods were in the same timezone as me. So my repport handled very fast and the threads never stayd for long.

Now my mod mate (wally) live at the exact oposite place of the world wich doesnt help with speed here ;)

(maybe I don't see them because you report them so quickly)
Not _that_ many. But I repported many of them. Up to now, the mods were in the same timezone as me. So my repport handled very fast and the threads never stayd for long.

Now my mod mate (wally) live at the exact oposite place of the world wich doesnt help with speed here ;)
Yeah but I got your back bro...

EDIT: You guys keep reporting posts and problems, and we'll keep sorting them out - when we see the reports of course. Right now I'm eating my lunch so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Something else I dislike about the software-news-section is that the threads are used for questions and comments about the release. While this is natural, it often pushes old threads up again which are actually no news anymores.

IMHO each software-news-thread should only be reply-able by it's creator to mention the first release and later updates and contain a link to a question-and-comments-thread in a seperate forum of it's own.

Just sort the forum on "start date" instead of "recently updated" to get what you want. No need to make yet another subforum.

The trouble with sorting on start date is that if an older thread is updated - say to announce a new version, then it won't be visible.

I agree with Lomaxx's idea. I also agree that we don't need to create a new sub-forum. (though I don't see that such a thing was suggested to begin with) It occurs to me that the existing Beta Testing forum would be the most logical place to put the 'questions and comments' threads, as that would also have the effect of consolidating all the relevant software feedback threads in one place.

I also don't see any reason not to implement sebt3's original suggestion. While it may make more work for the mods, I can't see how it would cause any hurdles for new devs. Once a dev's initial announce post has been approved they will have demonstrated that they understand the purpose of the forum and can be granted an exception from moderation. (though in that I'm assuming there's a moderation mode that allows anyone to post with the post remaining hidden until approved... I'm used to how moderation works on mailing lists)

- Neelix

Can't devs just start a new thread if they have a major new version to announce and want it to show up in the "sorted on start date" thing? If it's just a minor update, no new thread is needed of course.

By the way, I wouldn't use this forum to see what's new, just use PNDManager and checkout the latest updates on the repo. That way you can try it immediately too :)

If it's just a minor update, no new thread is needed of course.

Just because it's a minor update doesn't justify hiding it from view... Sorting by start date should be avoided in a forum of this nature. It only works in the Official News forum because of the scarcity of new threads there.

- Neelix

I might get my proverbial together and do my bleeding job once I've got other more pressing Pandora related things tackled. That should certainly help matters as myself and Wally are at similarly opposite sides of the world.

Maybe the forum needs another sort option: "sort by date of last post by thread starter". That's assuming that the thread starter is the author of the software and that he only uses the thread to post updates, not to answer questions. Meh, that wouldn't work. It just seems a bit harsh not to allow user comments when new software is announced.

Back