Month Reset...

Rather than just a month reset, there should be a thread congratulating the top three in each game, don't you think?
Seems a nice idea to me.  or (probably not such a good idea)how about a custom forum title e.g. frogger champ
That could be an idea.  But what if someone was champ in more than one game?

This month, I was Donkey Kong Jr. Champ.

Rather than just a month reset, there should be a thread congratulating the top three in each game, don't you think?
This month, I was Donkey Kong Jr. Champ.
Actually Link took the May title with >70k on 5/30.

http://c4a.openpandora.org/#/dkongjr/201305
Honestly, I thought this is what the leader-boards where made for. You can see current month winners, past month winners, and the all important "All Time" winners. There's just seems to be to many games, to try and say thanks to everyone who got a win, place, or show.

I really don't see anyone congratulating anyone specifically, at least until we start the official tournaments. Then I can see others giving a pat on the back to the winners(myself included). If anyone needs to say they are the top dog, that's what the "trash talk" thread is for. "I'm king of the hill", try and knock me off :p

Chris

I feel like the thread congratulating the winners and recognition in general was one of the strengths of the old R.O.T.

Being able to browse the scores by months on the website (or an UI) is fun and all, but does not beat a big announcement thread with images, trash talk and forum spotlight.

I realize this project is just at the beginning, but maybe this is a thing to consider for the future, could be done by hand, could be automated, could be limited to certain "tournament" months and games, could be quarterly, etc.

But that's what I'm talking about.

Not EVERY GAME....just the ones that were Tournament Games for that month!

Can you even try to imagine the headache of trying to keep tabs on and congratulate 200 different people when this thing really gets a lot of games??

I was referring only to Tournament games.

And I'll have you yet, Link!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I figured the tournament games would be a given, once they actually get going. Count me in.

Chris

Can you even try to imagine the headache of trying to keep tabs on and congratulate 200 different people when this thing really gets a lot of games??
Luckily computers are very good at performing tedious and repetitive tasks with a simple pattern. A script could generate a list of people or even output a pre-formatted post in less than a second :)

So technically that's not a huge deal, whether it makes sense is a totally different question.

But that's what I'm talking about. Not EVERY GAME....just the ones that were Tournament Games for that month!
To clarify, by "tournament games" I meant a selection of C4A games for each month, of which the best players will be highlighted at the end of that month (to focus on a few games and not a huge selection) - see "SpeedRunsLive.com Seasons" for a similar example. I don't really follow the other (long) threads, so I probably missed any prior discussion about "tournament games", this was just a term I came up with.

Maybe we are talking about the same thing, but I was confused since you mentioned "every game" in your first post, hence I don't really get your last post.

Anyway, I think I agree with your core point, a congratulatory thread would be nice and I honestly don't care whether it's for every game or just a selected few (the latter would be preferred in the long run, since the library might grow huge, though somebody needs to make a selection then).

Last edited by a moderator:
Foxblock...I meant every game FOR NOW...since there are not many games in there...and since no official games had been yet singled out for Tournament - at least not that I was aware of.

Its a communuty project .. Feel free tomake a back pat thread .. All the scores are up!

I coukd add a 'top N scores for last month' report page pretty easily, for copy pasta into posts.. Someone else (the game master?) can post it :)

Jeffphone

There is already the previous month tab on the c4all site. Don't really need more.

Would be interesting to see who is the overall best player. Seems to me shouldn't be too hard.

Something like calculating a list of best players for the 10 most played games? What games are played most can be calculated automatically too.

Hmm, maybe a stats page..

Number of scores aubmitted by month/sum

Number of unique players by month/sum

Etc etc

Make up a list of stat ideas :)

How about, on the Web Page...when scores are cleared out...there is a section up top for "Last Month's Tops" and have the top three scores there...not on a tab, but where everyone gets to see it for a whole month.

Example....

From front page you click the Banner for the game 1942...and it takes you to the list of scores.

A section at the top of that page should have last month's top winners...and they get to stay there for a whole month for bragging rights.

Maybe even in the banner itself, last month's absolute top score - on the right side...with the current month top on the left as it now is.

With my idea, you could get rid of the "See All" button, since clicking the actual banner takes you to the exact same place as clicking the "See All" button.

'Last months winners' .. Thats a great idea.. Pm milkshake :)

Ppl need to bang the bushes in the other emu subboards, keep reminding folks the c4a exists :)

Jeffphone

Back