Multitasking Needs

It may not be a fully featured PC laptop replacement, but as i'm hoping to use it as an amiga mini laptop, it should be perfect. I currently use my HTC Universal for this, but the emu is a bit slow. You should be able to run Mac system 7 on it as well. And both these O.S. run fine at 640x480. Most of my artwork in lightwave and deluxepaint was originally done as that resolution. And then I can watch loads of demo scene stuff as well :)

I'm trying to figure out how the pandora will also fit.

What I've found out at home is that I'd rather play on my PSP or DS than sit in the same spot in front of the TV and play a traditional gaming conole. I find that browing the web on the PSP is utterly slow and painful.

Now I wonder if the same might be true with a real computer. Why be anchored to one place in the house when it might actually be more convenient to just sit wherever you want and do some nominal type programming? Almost make me wonder if there shouldn't be a pandora type system in an EEE type format with a small touch typable keyboard.

I agree.. so far it just seems like Pandora could be simply be replaced by the ASUS EEE PC. It's like a wannabe laptop but its not... and for no good reason.

Actually if you want the game pad and buttons, you'd be better off with the XO OLPC or the Cathena CX which offers a full laptop, with the d-pad and buttons... and it folds over like a tablet too

Pandora just doesn't sound practical IMO

DssTrainer said:
I agree.. so far it just seems like Pandora could be simply be replaced by the ASUS EEE PC. It's like a wannabe laptop but its not... and for no good reason.

Actually if you want the game pad and buttons, you'd be better off with the XO OLPC or the Cathena CX which offers a full laptop, with the d-pad and buttons... and it folds over like a tablet too

Pandora just doesn't sound practical IMO

Once again it all depends on what you want to use it for. I'm not up on the hardware specifics of the OLPC or the Cathena CX, but I doubt they have the video hardware that the pandora will have. Thus it is a much better solution for gaming than the other platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:
MWeston said:
Pandora will actually be a laptop replacement for me. Also, by this explanation, it seems fair to consider this a fairly decent UMPC replacement (based on price for sure).
That's actually my plan as well.

I was going to get a UMPC (eeepc for example, still might if/when a higher res 9" screen version comes out) but when I read the Pandora specs I realized it could probably do do quite a few light mobile tasks, like email, basic web browsing, basic document editing etc. People can complain about screen size, but I've been using PDA's with smaller screens and lower resolutions for years to do such tasks. So I know Pandora can do them even better, and it's a pretty small device - easy to take along.

Honestly if Pandora does a decent job of those basic tasks (need to see how well some Linux apps work, like Firefox, Open Offic, Abiword etc.) then it will likely serve most of my basic UMPC needs just fine.

The game stuff will be a very nice bonus. :) In fact, I think it may replace my beloved PSP and DS for that task (I usually play them a little just before going to sleep, helps me wind down).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back