My Day With the Pandora [ rygD ]

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
It's been a while we did not have any articles on our community's members experience and usage of the machine - here's the one from rygD !

-> Continue Reading

promorygd.png

Last edited by a moderator:
To solve the headphones 'button' problem, you can buy a convertor from eBay for a few quid...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191289245603
This will allow me to have the correct sound when plugging them into the Pandora?  I don't haave a problem when I plug into other devices and computers that I own or use.  Thanks for the link.

Edit:  It wouldn't work for keeping my Pandora in my pocket while listening to music since it sticks out so far (my headphones have a low profile connector with a 90 degree angle).  It should work fine for everywhere else.  I am trying to find a seller closer to me.

is will allow me to have the correct sound when plugging them into the Pandora?
Yes I use a similar connector myself (odd people list this as fraudulent however what I received worked properly)
I don't haave a problem when I plug into other devices and computers that I own or use.  Thanks for the link.
That's because the Pandora was designed before the iPhone(2008) was released and it's non-standardized connector. What was unfortunate was how the entire tech industry bent toward apple's bizarre standard after it's popularity.

is will allow me to have the correct sound when plugging them into the Pandora?
Yes I use a similar connector myself (odd people list this as fraudulent however what I received worked properly)
Actually, I may have have one of those in a box of random cables somewhere that I picked up while looking for a different adaptor (it is one of the Think Geek wired handsets from a few years ago, which is far superior to newer offerings that are available everywhere, because it is actually really close to the G style handsets from old Bell fones...the parts are even interchangeable with the real thing.  On some of the similar wired handsets the mouthpiece and earpiece are swapped, and I don't need all the other stuff like buttons and bluetooth.  Sorry for the tangent.)

I don't haave a problem when I plug into other devices and computers that I own or use.  Thanks for the link.
That's because the Pandora was designed before the iPhone(2008) was released and it's non-standardized connector. What was unfortunate was how the entire tech industry bent toward apple's bizarre standard after it's popularity.
Don't most other brands use a different standard?  The only Apple product I tried these headphones on was an old iPod, and it works there (even the button, I think), so you may be right.  I thought most Android devices used something else, and it works there too.  I have looked into this a bit in the threads where it was discussed here, and while trying to find the adaptor for the handset I mentioned.  With the computers I am usually using a headphone port, but on some I do have to use a headset port or the sound doesn't stop.  The ones requiring plugging into headset ports are the Windows boxes shown in the article, so I'm not sure if it is a hardware or software issue there.

I am curious now, so I will try using a Game Boy and some other older stuff.  I am pretty sure you are completely right about the problem being the Apple standard.

Thanks again for that link and recommendation.

first page of Hacker News
That page gets updated so fast, I can not find it anymore on the first 5 pages. But enough of that... time to read the article... its like reading the newspaper in the morning...

@rygD: How do you pronounce your nickname? Is it "Rigged" or "rye-t"/"right".

I usually describe it (in text) as sounding like "rye god" all squished together, without the O, or like saying "ride" with a hard G shoved in the middle.  

It came from me smacking a keyboard a few times while looking for a new impersonal username. It turned out that by getting a bit creative and silly it is not so impersonal, so I kept it.

first page of Hacker News
That page gets updated so fast, I can not find it anymore on the first 5 pages. But enough of that... time to read the article... its like reading the newspaper in the morning...
You can do a search for "Open Pandora".  I looked for it while mentioning it to an instructor earlier today.  She loved the b&w pic of her Red Hat banner.

I don't know what is required to make the first page.  I also don't understand what the points mean, and can't tell if the 15 I had earlier were a good or bad thing.  Either way, I blame ekianjo for putting it out there for the world to see.  Honestly I figured only people here would care.  

In case anyone is wondering why I was so vague on so many details, I don't like sharing personal information.  If anyone wants to ask questions, especially related to using a Pandora in an academic environment, I am willing to discuss it more.  I don't think it is a replacement for a laptop, but I think it will work pretty well if you have a laptop/desktop that you can use at home and during more demanding classes.  I am sure the Pyra will be even more capable.

I don't know what is required to make the first page.  I also don't understand what the points mean, and can't tell if the 15 I had earlier were a good or bad thing.  Either way, I blame ekianjo for putting it out there for the world to see.  Honestly I figured only people here would care.  
Haha once it's published, link aggregators do the rest :)

To make it on the first page of HN, it needs to be upvoted by many other users in a short span of time (usually in less than 30 mins after posting), if not it loses visibility pretty fast. That's why being on the first page of HN is a pretty big deal, it will secure quite a lot of traffic for a long time. Getting in the first few spots will get you 300 simultaneous visits (and make your server crash if you don't use a cache or static pages).

So, 15 is pretty good - people on HN usually don't upvote stories for nothing and the content is quite selective.  

Yeah, I figured it was significant, so I mentioned it to a couple people.  They made a bigger deal out of it than I did.  I only mentioned it because you did, and asked that they not tell too many people.

Thanks for letting me share my experiences and uses.

Back