My Gp32 Is En Route From Hong Kong...

T

TelcoLou

LOL ... well not literally, but after perusing this cool-as-hell board, I fell quite overwhelmed at all the possible emuation stuff this little beast can do. A quick uber-n00b question: Aside from needing to register to download commercial games, what else needs to be done to set up the unit? I'm going on the assumption that the manual will be in Korean (I ordered from lik-sang .. long story involving credit card issues with GBAx.com)

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times before. Thanks in advance :)

TelcoN00b

Manual is in English, no problem there ;)

You do not need to register to downlaod commercial games. You however have to register your GP32 in order to get the freelauncher program. You do this on the Gamepark Homepage and it's dead easy, takes less than five minutes.

Thanks for the quick reply! Umm, (damn I feel st00pid here) what does the freeloader prog do, exactly?

Well, the default firmware can only run .gxe files. These are encrypted to the unique ID of each individual GP32, or to the SMC on which they reside, in order to provide at least SOME copy protection for the commercial games. The result, though, is that you need to (at least, unless you buy your GP32 from GBAX who pre-flash them) register your unit with Gamepark in order to get that program encrypted.

This can be, as already mentioned, a 5 minute job.

It can also take as long as a few days if the server is down, or you, for example, try to run the file from inside Winzip (it has to be extracted).

Either way, if official registration doesn't work, you can do it through IRC, which is fairly straight forward, as long as you speak english, french, or Swedish (which seem to be the languages that people know in the channels) - you can get help through the process.

Its not *that* hard, but it can be a bit of a palava. However, if you're in the UK, just buy the thing from GBAX, so you won't have to bother...

Please note, the European GP32s are intended to be able to launch fxe (Free eXecutable Encrypted) files without the free launcher, but that that firmware is not the standard yet. That's basially what the freelauncher does, though - runs .fxes

Thanks to you sir! My head still hurts thinking about all the possible things to do with the system though :)

Back