My Wiz Screen Went Out...so I Ordered A Caanoo

Toy8ox

Still Fresh
I managed to get a new Caanoo on ebay for $115 including shipping. It has not arrived yet, but I am slightly concerned with the screen quality. The screen on my wiz was one of the best I have ever seen, while it worked. It appears as though OLED reliability has improved greatly with many new electronics using the technology. Maybe I have an oversimplified view of electronics, but would it be possible to order a 3.5 in super AMOLED panel from say, Samsung and swap it into my device? I have replaced my Nintendo DS screen before with little hassle. I am unsure, however, if there is connection or form factor standards.I know this is a potential face-palm question, but if GPH is no longer going to be manufacturing handhelds, I am considering improving the one I have.

I mean, it's probably possible, but not feasible. Problem is, the screens are going to have different connectors on them, and that is what might end up getting in the way.

probly different drivers as well. i know all the a320 dingoos have the same size screens but 3 different types and drivers for each..

I will say as an owner of both the Wiz and Caanoo, that I can wholeheartedly agree that the Wiz screen is the best I have ever seen even still. Don't get me wrong, the Caanoo screen is larger (which is a plus), the touch screen is very responsive, and it is not bad at all. It is very nice, but the Wiz screen is still crisper and the black level on the Wiz screen are just incredible. It is not a major downgrade (I am sure you will like it), but if you are used to the Wiz screen you will certainly notice the difference.

lnx64 said:
I mean, it's probably possible, but not feasible. Problem is, the screens are going to have different connectors on them, and that is what might end up getting in the way.
What if I sent specifications and ordered a semi-large quantity of them (possibly for resale)?

Last edited by a moderator:
LTStone said:
probly different drivers as well. i know all the a320 dingoos have the same size screens but 3 different types and drivers for each..
I would not know how to go about programming a driver, but i'm sure that is nothing Google can't solve. I have done quite a bit of programming with C++. If it requires anything lower level than that, however, it would probably not be worth my time.

zektor said:
I will say as an owner of both the Wiz and Caanoo, that I can wholeheartedly agree that the Wiz screen is the best I have ever seen even still. Don't get me wrong, the Caanoo screen is larger (which is a plus), the touch screen is very responsive, and it is not bad at all. It is very nice, but the Wiz screen is still crisper and the black level on the Wiz screen are just incredible. It is not a major downgrade (I am sure you will like it), but if you are used to the Wiz screen you will certainly notice the difference.
At this point this discussion is theoretical. If it's a good screen I wont even attempt any of this, especially since I plan on purchasing a PS Vita, which appears to have an excellent AMOLED screen. Ijust read in the forums about some weird back-light issues.

no worry guy, the caanoo is 4000 time better the the wiz;
yes, the OLED screen is very wonderful, but isn't very durable

I like the Wiz better to be honest, but the terrible stereo separation is what kills it. That affects ALL units.

Back