Nand/flashing/gmenu2x/being An Idiot Issues

lemoncurdstevey

Still Fresh
Firstly an apology. I have been at this problem for some time. Basically i've been to most tech boards about this issue and I don't really know what i'm on about. Apologies if this is a double/stoopid/noobish/idiotic post but I can't do anything else. i am just stuck now. Partly out of ideas, partly again down to not exactly knowing what i am doing.

Ok. Heres the story : -

It all started because of Gmenu2x. I couldn't run my NES emulator through Gmenu2x. It wouldn't find the shortcut even if I added it in the usual manner. Figured it might be my SD card so I formatted it (FAT32 and so on...) and put all my emu/games on there no worries.

Anyway. Put the freshly formatted/updated SD card into my GP2X. It booted and just froze! Black screen...! Putting the black screen down to the SD Card again. I went back on my PC with the card. All seemed fine. So I booted up the GP2x without the SD in. The standard menu came up no problem! So I decided it was down to GMenu2x (I autoboot GMenu2x from my SD just because its easier cos I swap SD's for other stuff.) so I got a freshly downloaded GMenu2x and extracted it to my SD in the usual manner. Booted the SD in the GP2X.

BLACK SCREEN AGAIN!! How irritating...! So then I got the 'Not Very Clever' idea of booting GMenu2x through the NAND memory. I copied all the files. Mounted the NAND memory on boot in the settings and tried again. ARRRRGGGHHHHH! Black Screen!!!

Realising that I was no doubt 'Caught in an Auto Boot Loop' as it were I trawled the web looking for answers. The answer seemed to be in reflashing the existing firmware. Following all the instructions TO THE LETTER!! I reflashed the firmware and restarted the GP2X. Have a guess what I have now got......?

I HATE BLACK SCREENS!!

Please, please, please, please help me with something, anything to get this back on to how it was. I miss my GP2X already (its been 3 hours now) I do not think it is 'bricked'. Because it doesn't have the lines and all the rest. Oh yeah and I checked the batts too...

I am on my e-knees. Please, please help...
(apologies for the length of this post but I obviously don't have a clue what I am on about...)

Get off your e-knees and be a man ;)

You can bypass autorun by holding Start+Select during the booting process.

The black screen may very well be caused by a dying SD card, but of course that's uncertain. Do you have any other SD cards you can play around with?

PS: After I reread your post, it seems the black screen is now caused by a bad firmware flash and not autorunning Gmenu2x? If that's the case, then download and flash firmware 2.0.0 (on a very fresh set of NiMh's or a power brick, to avoid bricking). Then, if all goes well, download the 2.1.1 patch and update 2.0.0.

Good luck!

alex you legend you. sorted...

used a fresh sd card. booted v2 firmware from the sd. got the menu back! its more colourful isn't it?

then i went for v2.10. using the start/select combo on boot. whoa baby!

oh and then i topped off the sexy firmware cake with the 2.1.1 cherry!!

can i just say that in my humblest of opinions that the v2 menu is a colourful work of art. no disrespect to the developer of gmenu but i think i'll stick with the default menu.

what is truly amazing about this rollercoaster story is that i secretly wanted to run 2.1.1 instead of v3 which i had on there by default (got the gp2x with v3 built in) so i've basically had a supremely enjoyable and fruitful late night (its now 2:54am GMT. i'm in the uk)

alex. you truly rock. me and my girlfriend are going to name our first born after you. cheers dude!

Back