NAND OS borked. How to salvage files form NAND before re-flash?

Garg

Still Fresh
My Pandora (on Hotfix 5) is stuck in a reboot loop, I believe because I opkg-ed a bunch of stuff for Python development. I think I saw something similar mentioned as a possible problem elsewhere in the forums, but my Google-fu is weak.

At any rate, I'm cool with flashing the latest Hotfix, but I I've got a few files saved to the NAND I want to salvage, first. Can I do any kind of remote login or SSH into it before it starts to boot and fails? Could I put a ready-to-use OS image onto an SD card and boot to it, and if so, would I be able to mount the NAND?

Thanks!

Using this guide you should be able to install the OS onto an SD card and run from there, mount the NAND, and then copy whatever you choose onto your SD card.

Once you've followed WizStan's advice to recover your files, I strongly recommend booting your OS from SD for all your dev work. This has two big advantages: One, you'll have much more room on the SD card to hammer it with opkg, and two, you've always got a stock OS handy (on the NAND) to test your PNDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! The guide on the wiki looks straightforward, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Good thinking, Gruso. Next time around I'll do dev from the SD. Is the OS likely to feel much slower running off the SD?

If you have a fast sd, it will be faster.

I use a U1 card from Sandisk and It feels faster to load.

Back