NanoWire batteries

Batou456

In 2007 a researcher at Stanford devised a way to increase the energy density of a Lithium-Ion battery by 10-8 times by changing the implementation of the Lithium anode from graphite to silicon nanowire around a stainless steel core. (Story Link & Paper)

Commercialization of this technology is supposed to start next year.

EDIT:

If 90 W-hr/kg is correct for Li-Ion cells then the energy density of these new cells is expected to start at 900 W-hr/kg and sink down to 720 W-hr/kg over time. Most articles indicate they believe they can keep the cost increase within the energy density increase, and hence per W-hr they will be the same price or cheaper, at launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
so without reading some long article, are these still considered li-ion or something else? can this be applies to li-po?

To answer you question.

A nanowire battery is a lithium-ion battery invented by a team led by Dr. Yi Cui at Stanford University in 2007. The team's invention consists of a stainless steel anode covered in silicon nanowires, to replace the traditional graphite anode. Silicon, which stores ten times more lithium than graphite, allows a far greater energy density on the anode, thus reducing the mass of the battery. The large surface area further allows for fast charging and discharging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanowire_battery

so without reading some long article, are these still considered li-ion or something else?
Yes it's still a Lithium-Ion design, just redesigned to allow a higher lithium density. To be specific through a nanowire design they bypassed the complications of the material with the highest known Lithium density for this kind of thing, which also has the side effect of more rapid recharge. They also worked on a cathode that doesn't use Cobalt and have been successful using the much more common element Manganese. Undoubtedly these cells will be dubbed something specific to differentiate them, which if the trend continues will probably be Nanowire. Trade names will of course be subject to marketing silliness.

can this be applies to li-po?
They didn't consider there to be anything wrong with the Lithium Phosphate Hexafluoride electrolyte they started with requiring effort being put into it's improvement, so they don't appear to have deemed that worth investigating at this time, and seem to be happy with their thermodynamic, cycling, and other durability tests. Whether you can would depend on how good the polymer is at interfacing, dealing with interface layer issues, and not damaging the actual nanowire structures.

Any battery advancements is welcome, it seems to be the technology that progresses the slowest.

This. This this this. I have often sat down and thought, screw the flying cars; we were supposed to have portable months-long battery life by now (if we were even supposed to still be using batteries at all-- where are the zero-point-energy cores?).

month long batteries are easy to make, problem is theres too many laws holding them back, for mostly the right reasons, but nonetheless. laws are holding back technology, including copyright laws, also theres still people that think technology is the devils work and well....i wont even go there

I have often sat down and thought, screw the flying cars;
Which I may add were proposed and built by Henry Ford in the early 20th century, with the FAA at that point laying down the precedent on how things would proceed. I might also point out there's several models and manufacturers of such things currently on the market.

Not that it was _ever_ a really wonderful idea as the compromises work against each other, and result is a compromise vehicle that's less then wonderful at both tasks.

we were supposed to have portable months-long battery life by now (if we were even supposed to still be using batteries at all--
month long batteries are easy to make, problem is theres too many laws holding them back, for mostly the right reasons, but nonetheless.
What are you two alluding to? I'm pretty sure it's not the military dry cells as while they keep the reaction rate down for very long shelf life, they're heavy, and just about the opposite of what the average consumer wants by all parameters. I'm also pretty sure it's not the Kindle's Li-Ion cell, as you're selling this as something that's not done commercially, even though it is.

also theres still people that think technology is the devils work and well....i wont even go there
Oh really?

Last I checked the only thing anyone could drag forward was an Italian who got a few days of jail for blatantly insulting the Pope in a book before it was rescinded to house arrest, the conditions of which make the average "grounding" seem utterly draconian in comparison. All of which happened well after Kepler was dead and his theory long accepted as papal doctrine, with the _Greek_ Artistolean/Ptolemiac theory maintained as no one had a good response to the Earth Moves problem and thus both were recognized as not really together enough. Hence to Sir Isaac Newton goes the glory and rights to developing a how to the why of Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion, and solving of the Earth Moves problems while for the first time actually developing a level of math adequate to really handle Physics in a mathematical instead of philosophical manner. Said Englishmen, as can be easily verified through Gutenberg, contrary to a recent movie about a secret sex cult was a theologian as well as a scientist. Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking's views on things certainly don't help your case either, nor for that matter most of the big names.

Or perhaps you allude to denying embryonic stem cell research be entitled to Federal, aka Tax Payer, funds instead of having to go through normal investor channels. A technology that if beaten and processed enough might theoretically have an advantage over the much more accommodating Adult Stem Cell technology instead of just creating tumors. That ignoring the pure depravity involved in that even if it did work manages to top how the blood industry was handled when they literally were buying prisons and repeatedly infecting the inmates with things so they could farm gamma globulins from them, and the rest a few decades ago.

The noteworthy advocates of your story, and any serious look at the history will show a story is all it is, include the Marquis de Sade who attempted to use it a chaff to further his ends of sexual depravity and sadism. And we could easily draw the line straight through to the most evil men of 20th century if you really wanted.

you make a strong point, and i can see that i could never win an argument against you, as you are just full of knowledge, and the only way i can beat you is if i take you down to my idiotic level and beat you with experience. on the other hand, a picture is worth a thousand words

darkageschart.gif

I think I might ask Ashen to use this for his disk-based Fusion. And yes, I'm planning to order one from him next year...Probably will cost me $2000 though. :(

Back