Nds/psp Homebrew

A_SN

These last few days I've been trying to be omniscient regarding homebrew game releases on all platforms as a part of posting news for our new homebrew gaming community HomebrewGames.org (Shameless plug alert), and I realised, while not much is being released for the GP2X these days, there's a tremendous quantity of stuff being developed for the Nintendo DS and the PSP, and pretty impressive quality titles too!

Until now I was under the impression the GP2X community was the most active homebrew community out there, but seeing how much stuff gets dropped on the other side of the fence, I wonder. Or is it because they have this Neoflash contest which fuels the activity on these platforms tremendously? Since when has the wheel turned on us? Is it because the GP2X is considered dead? Or was it always like this?

A_SN said:
Until now I was under the impression the GP2X community was the most active homebrew community out there, but seeing how much stuff gets dropped on the other side of the fence, I wonder. Or is it because they have this Neoflash contest which fuels the activity on these platforms tremendously? Since when has the wheel turned on us? Is it because the GP2X is considered dead? Or was it always like this?
Contests definitely help, GBAX 2007 alone got us 38 new GP2X games in an interval of only two months.

However, the main factor in release frequencies is the size of each platform's developer pool. I read somewhere that the number of homebrew-enabled PSPs reaches over one million (their estimate was something along 2 or 3, but that's hard to believe) - even if only 1% of that number are developers, it is still enough to make an impact.

On the other hand, the GP2X only sold 30000 units, and while I'm convinced that a significantly larger percent of those numbers are developers, it is still not enough to make up for the large difference in total.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
Contests definitely help, GBAX 2007 alone got us 38 new GP2X games in an interval of only two months.

However, the main factor in release frequencies is the size of each platform's developer pool. I read somewhere that the number of homebrew-enabled PSPs reaches over one million (their estimate was something along 2 or 3, but that's hard to believe) - even if only 1% of that number are developers, it is still enough to make an impact.

On the other hand, the GP2X only sold 30000 units, and while I'm convinced that a significantly larger percent of those numbers are developers, it is still not enough to make up for the large difference in total.
Mmmh good point. So in other words it's always been like this, these other platforms being so huge?

I still think it took a lot longer for the commercial systems to really become developer friendly. Before I got my GP2x I was thinking of getting a DS flashcart but there really wasn't much homebrew available at the time.

When there has been multiplatform contents the gp2x has always had a good showing but over time the ds and psp have have a larger quantity of homebrew releases contest or not. Still there has never been much of a reliable central homebrew community for either like we have here, thought there are sites like pdroms and yours that give news on homebrew for all consoles.

Given the size the of the community compared to the size of others we are still the most active.

Also sometimes homebrew releases by non english speakers fall under the radar. Though there seems to be a fair amount of shmup fans here not much talk has been made about Alert and no one put it in the archive.

Try to scrounge around the internet as much as you can to find some gp2x games to post on your site.

jbrodack said:
When there has been multiplatform contents the gp2x has always had a good showing but over time the ds and psp have have a larger quantity of homebrew releases contest or not. Still there has never been much of a reliable central homebrew community for either like we have here, thought there are sites like pdroms and yours that give news on homebrew for all consoles.

Given the size the of the community compared to the size of others we are still the most active.

Also sometimes homebrew releases by non english speakers fall under the radar. Though there seems to be a fair amount of shmup fans here not much talk has been made about Alert and no one put it in the archive.

Try to scrounge around the internet as much as you can to find some gp2x games to post on your site.
Good points. However I've gotta say, while this community is quite large, actually homebrew games come in order of preoccupation after emulators and ports of commercial games, I'm afraid.

If you have any good gp2x (or any other) links that you think would help me, go ahead and let me know :). But good suggestion, I'll try to look at what non-english speaking communities have. I'm already covering a bunch of French speaking sites, being French myself.

You can add my B'lox! game to your site if you want.

It's freeware and includes executables for GP2X (supports touchscreen on F200) and pc. It was also the winner of the GLBasic/GP2X.de 2008 comp.

It's a puzzle game with 100 levels and has an easy to use puzzle editor so you can create your own (or edit some of the ones that I did).

http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/B'lox!.rar

iprice said:
You can add my B'lox! game to your site if you want.

It's freeware and includes executables for GP2X (supports touchscreen on F200) and pc. It was also the winner of the GLBasic/GP2X.de 2008 comp.

It's a puzzle game with 100 levels and has an easy to use puzzle editor so you can create your own (or edit some of the ones that I did).

http://www.iprice.remakes.org/stuff/B'lox!.rar

Well to 'add' it I need a new release to talk about ;). If you do that you can make the news release yourself, news posts are unmoderated which means anyone can post front page news there and get them on instantly.

puppydee said:
I certainly hope the Gp2x isn't dead coz mine arrived this morning :D
Oh dear.. if it starts to emit zombiish groans, open the damn thing, take the SoC apart, and bury the whole deep underground. And watch out for your brain!

Don't worry - GBAX2008 will be GP32, GP2X, Wiz, Pandora etc.

Sounds nice! When will it be held?

Back