Network Software

Steve-O

Im wanting some software that gives me control of the computers on my network.

For Example, Im upstairs right now and I want to run some software on the PC that is downstairs from up here or shutdown the computer down stairs etc.

What software would you recommend?

Thanks

I want something like this too, only I want to see what exactly they are doing, and stop them slowing down my connection. They will never know. *Default evil laugh*.

Two categories generally exist:

Commercial software e.g. NetBIOS
Trojans e.g. SubSe7en

Both usually offer the same features - run external programs, shut down pc, browse pc's contents, get screenshots. Trojan stuff is bad if you have a virus checker installed, but free.

The other option is enabling the telnet server and telnetting into the downstairs comp.

Then you can shutdown -sf or run external programs.

I think you can also do a shutdown -m computername to shut down a remote computer, if you have the right setup.

Me and my mate used to have SubSeven on two PCs networked next to each other, just for fun.

Most stupid waste of time ever, but it seemed fun at the time.

used to use Sub7, didint like the idea of having a Trojan on PC

will try NetBIOS Thankd :D

i allways use realvnc(.com) its nice, works also on linux, and haves also nice java client you can controle over your browser so you dnt need to install the clien software.

learn to program in vb and write a prog in vb to d it for u using win sock. thats what i did i wrote a chat prog which has options to shutdown comp etc.

Is this Software Safe to use???? Can ANyone on the Internet now access my computer or can only computers on my LAN access the computer???

technically anyone with the right password and ip address can.. if you have a firewall then you can restrict the users with the ip address on the lan (like I am)

yaustar posted on Sep 25 2004 at 01:57 AM said:
technically anyone with the right password and ip address can.. if you have a firewall then you can restrict the users with the ip address on the lan (like I am)

So Sygate (My Firewall) will tell me if someone is trying to connect to my PC via a different IP ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is best to use some sort of encrypted authentication if poossible, to stop your passwords being sent in plain text. There are a few good packages available...

However... there is one that noone seems to have mentioned yet...

Windows XP (Pro) remote desktop!

If you go to th system icon in control panel, then to the 'remote' tab, you can allow your machine to be remotely controlled. Just log into it then using the IP address of that machine from anywhere on the internet (or on your lan) via 'Remote Desktop' (under acessories/system tools) and log in using one of the accounts on your PC. Make sure you have passwords set for them all though, as if your machine is on the net, anyone will be able to connect to it if you let RDP through your firewall.

Another fantastic package is 'remotely anywhere' which lets you do it all through a browser interface, and uses a java client to remotely connect via a browser. Also encrypted if you want it...

generalnmx posted on Sep 24 2004 at 11:49 AM said:
If you're using Windows XP on any of these machines (and I believe Windows 2000 and 2003) it has the "Remote Desktop" feature. I use that for my downloading machine.

Heh - sorry General - didnt notice that post :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I know about Remote Desktop, But can I use Remote Desktop on a Win98 Machine to control a WinXP Machine ?

also WinVNC is set to "ASK" in my Firewall

Back