New 3d Or Psuedo 3d Games

E

extremegamer

With the so far success of Quake GP, which is now my favorite thing to play on my GP32. Do you think we will see any other 3d or psuedo 3d games be ported or made for the GP32?

GP32 is most certainly capable of it. It all depends on how ambitious people are willing to get. I would really like to see some homebrew FPS or racing games that utilize 3D.

By the way, I live right outside Pittsburgh. heh, so there are two GP32s in the southwestern PA area (at least there will be when mine arrives in the next couple days).

There are tons of 3D racers that are or were being made and available for the GP32.

First is I think Thunder_Z's racing game.

Second is Daz_genetic's racing game.

Third is Quake Rally, a racing mod for Quake.

And the fourth is a mod based on Quake Rally but with different stuff like guns.

And the Nazca series from fairly recently, which I think are in 3D. Not certain, but I think so...

And Mithris' various pieces of 3D work. Which are very very impressive really :)

How great is the GP32's 3D capabilities? I know that it's better than the GBA obviously, but exactly how far does it go? Could it reach the level that some N-Gage games are? I think that the recent steps with GPQuake a good indication that it can...

Well... not really that good in an obvious sense - it doesn't have the ability to deal with floating points (non-integers) well, and most 3D engines are riddled with them. The fact that things like Quake and Yeti are running is a testament to how good the coders' skills are - especially those that wrote the FP optimizing routines in GCC 3.4.1 (not so with Yeti - first ver out well before 3.4.1, but certainly with Quake).

That said, however, there's a lot - in theory - you can do with it that is 3D. Its just more work. Possibly less, idd, these days due to the presense of Klimt, though no-one has yet used that library.

Think of the GP32's 3D skillz as probably roughly on a par with what you could do on a Pentium 100 with no additional gfx card. Maybe a Pentium 75. Probably. Not quite sure of a decent analogy, tbh, since there is so little 3D stuff - and especially since I'm pretty sure x86 chips have had FPUs since the better 486s, which makes comparrisson awkward.

Yuglooc posted on Sep 14 2004 at 06:18 AM said:
Let's not forget the medal of honor remake coming along.

:eek: More info please, i haven't heard anything about this.

BTW how is qrally?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back