New Here- Have Some Questions

fantoboy

Still Fresh
I just got my Caanoo - and I'm very happy with it so far. Just had some questions if anyone can help me out.

1- Is there a list of compatible usb controllers, or does anyone recommend any controllers?
2- What is the actual danger in bricking the system with a firmware update? Does that happen often? If so, is there a full-proof way to avoid it? That scares me.
3- What are the main advantages to updating the firmware? I can overclock in mame with it? Does the controller actually work better like I've read? Is there an actual noticable increase in performance on emulators?
4- Without actually asking for a link to roms, is there a set out there for Gngeo? If so, what's it called? I've looked around but haven't seen anything. I've been messing around with the roms, and what a pain! And is it me, or do the ones that work in Mame as well work better in Mame?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

1 - I'm not sure about the USB Controllers.
2 - I haven't bricked my Caanoo, and I have upgraded the firmware once - obviously, the more you do it, the more you may brick the firmware, but it shouldn't happen, especially if it's plugged into the computer.
3 - I believe later firmwares are more stable, and they may add new features, depending on the firmware revision.

As i understand it, firmware 1.5 is actually slower then 1.0.6... so unless you need to, you should probably not update :)

P.s. I don't think there is much risk of bricking your Caanoo... but i have only flashed my Wiz so far :) I would use a 2GB or smaller SD card if you do attempt it.

I read you should update with a full charge, is it better to update while it's plugged in?
Is it true that I should try to use SD instead of SDHC?

keep it plugged in, thats how i did it (with my wiz, twice).
SD card is the favorable format, because there are users that can't update using an SDHC.
format your SD Card on windows with fat32 - there's another odd issue when you format your sd card on linux :)

I did the update with a 4gig SD. It was done in seconds with no issues. Thanks!

Back