Nintendo Ds Emu

Azerty16

Hi everyone the Wiz is more powerfull than a DS and seem have a good CPU to emulate it.
So a port of DeSmuMe (source code already release) is possible?
Cause many NDS game don't really use the second display like Mario Kart or Dragon Ball Supersonic Warrior 2.
I hope it's possible cause it will be really amazing.

Sorry for my english i'm french.

Seems rather unlikely, and would be hard to pull off with just one screen. Maybe a long ways from now when DS emulation is perfected more. For now even on a good PC you can run into trouble.

Jest said:
Seems rather unlikely, and would be hard to pull off with just one screen. Maybe a long ways from now when DS emulation is perfected more. For now even on a good PC you can run into trouble.

I'm afraid that Sbock was right. This won't happen, ever. The Wiz is nowhere near powerful enough - hell, even the Pandora probably can't do it.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny said:
Jest said:

I'm afraid that Sbock was right. This won't happen, ever. The Wiz is nowhere near powerful enough - hell, even the Pandora probably can't do it.

D.

Eh, if I can remember correctly, the Wiz's cpu is an ARM926EJ-S while the DS's cpus are a ARM946E-S and a ARM7TDMI.
The Arm9 (67mhz) on the DS is used for graphics rendering and game logic. The Arm7 (33mhz) is used for processing sound output, wifi,
and when the DS is in GBA mode it does what the Arm9 does in DS mode. The only major differences in the Arm9's between the DS and Wiz, are
the Wiz's support for Jazelle (hence the "J" in it's full name) which is meant for increasing java bytecode execution speed on Arm based
systems (J2ME anyone?).

With the architecture of the main chips being so similar, perhaps DS game code wouldn't have to be emulated?
Bah, I have never programmed an emulator before much less do I know how one works so I really can't say....

Last edited by a moderator:
With the architecture of the main chips being so similar, perhaps DS game code wouldn't have to be emulated?

Using classic emulation there is no other way than to emulate both CPU cores. Look at the Gameboy Advance emulator Gpsp for the Wiz. Or DosBox on the PC. Or MAME for the PC emulating x86 hardware. You simply need full control of the emulated CPU core and the registers.
You can use virtualization but I don't know a system working with this concept. DeSmuMe out of the box needs significant changes.
Even if you use virtualization for the CPU side, don't forget that the DS has some very sophisticated 2D and 3D hardware...

Back