Nubless an option?

marktuson

Just a thought: what about, for future batches, making nubless units available specifically? Fill in the holes in the case, and allow poeple who want to avoid any future nub-related trouble the option to just not have nubs at all? I, for one, probably will never need my nubs, and only want them at all becase they're a part of the whole unit.

The only games I can see myself playing on my Pandora (when it arrives), are NES/SNES/PSX games, and I won't be using analogue controls (never have, anyway), so the nubs are surplus to my requirements, if nobody else's. I'll also be using it for a bit of programming and websurfing/research, epecially at college; I walk the two miles or so every day, with a laptop on my back. Having my computer in my pocket would save me a lot of weight, all I'll need to carry then would be papers and notes, and my flask of coffee.

What do you think of it? Make snap-in plastic circles to put over the nub-holes on the case, and if the owner wants to put nubs on later, they can buy them, snap the snap-ins out, and put the nubs in.

it was suggested before. What exactly would you be hoping to accomplish by removing the nubs?

If you only want to play NES/SNES and PSX you wouldn't need a keyboard either, or a touchscreen. What you want is a supercharged GP2X/Wiz/Dingoo (or a PSP;) , which I guess GPH aren't too interested in making because there's already competition in that area.

I know I for one wouldn't want a crippled unit. The nubs are one of the biggest selling point in my mind, other wise there are plenty of other solutions that don't have analog controls.

The nubs are one of the biggest selling point in my mind, other wise there are plenty of other solutions that don't have analog controls.

Like what? Everything GPH offers comes with much smaller CPU, RAM, lower resolution screen, no built-in wifi..

Like what? Everything GPH offers comes with much smaller CPU, RAM, lower resolution screen, no built-in wifi..

Who said anything about GPH... If your looking for a handheld PC without a gaming interface there are tons of powerful options..

Just two off a google search.. there are plenty of ARM or x86 equivalents to Pandora hardware..

http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/ocosmos-ocs-1-handheld-review-price-specs-and-release-date/

http://www.htc.com/www/product/shift/overview.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Who said anything about GPH... If your looking for a handheld PC without a gaming interface there are tons of powerful options..

Just two off a google search.. there are plenty of ARM or x86 equivalents to Pandora hardware..

How is something without a gaming interface at all comparable to Pandora for pretty much anyone? Or do you think people only care about analog controls when it comes to gaming, because this is clearly far from the truth.. if anything people probably care much more about the non-analog controls.

I said I'd also be using mine as a miniature computer.

The reason why I want a nubless unit is that the nubs is the reason why I didn't get mine when I was told I would. I don't particularly want them, but I'm still waiting for them. I've emailed in about it and been told I'm on the list for a one/broken nubber should they appear, and I've PMed EvilDragon just to make sure. I even made sure to PM EvilDragon while he was online, but no answer.

I don't want nubs. And I don't want to wait for what I don't want to be included with what I do want.

How is something without a gaming interface at all comparable to Pandora for pretty much anyone? Or do you think people only care about analog controls when it comes to gaming, because this is clearly far from the truth.. if anything people probably care much more about the non-analog controls.

Geez defensive much.. I'm still going to love the Pandora when it arrives on my doorstep.. However if I wanted something without game controls I would of had it already there are plenty of choices... And truthfully I could care less about the software interface, I'll most likely change things the way I want it anyways.

But that's just me.. My original point was you take those controls away from the Pandora it's just less of a sell in my mind. I wasn't trying to smear it. But you seem to be on a crusade to argue with anyone.

Geez defensive much.. I'm still going to love the Pandora when it arrives on my doorstep.. However if I wanted something without game controls I would of had it already there are plenty of choices... And truthfully I could care less about the software interface, I'll most likely change things the way I want it anyways.

But that's just me.. My original point was you take those controls away from the Pandora it's just less of a sell in my mind. I wasn't trying to smear it. But you seem to be on a crusade to argue with anyone.

Nope, not defensive at all (you on the other hand...), and if anyone wants to smear the Pandora they can go ahead because I don't care. MY point (which you still seem to be missing) is that the analog nubs are very far from the entirety of the gaming controls on the Pandora. For most people they're not even of primary consideration. If you remove them it still has gaming controls that the plenty of other choices you mention do not.

Nope, not defensive at all (you on the other hand...), and if anyone wants to smear the Pandora they can go ahead because I don't care. MY point (which you still seem to be missing) is that the analog nubs are very far from the entirety of the gaming controls on the Pandora. For most people they're not even of primary consideration. If you remove them it still has gaming controls that the plenty of other choices you mention do not.

Well then... I see how it is.

My sword is famous all over the Caribbean!

^ The nubs are mapped to certain functions in the OS by default, is one thing that springs readily to mind. (For me, I must admit that they mostly perform mouse-work, which is why I like them. :p )

Couldn't you just put them both in joystick mode?

I occasionally used them for gaming, be even if I didn't, I wouldn't want a unit that didn't have them. Dealing with tiny links and icons with big fingers on a resistive touchscreen is about impossible. Holding the stylus while holding the Pandora, while trying use the keyboard is a pain. Being able to just move my thumbs to click on things is one of the huge advantages the Pandora has over other "mini-computer" devices.

nubs are pretty handy if you're not gaming. Most games I've used don't need them, but the desktop does use all the controls. Surprisingly, I think I could do without the touchscreen (but on a larger device touchscreen seems more valuable). Nubs certainly beat touchpad on the ac100 (which has larger keyboard, but is slower to type on whilst on the sofa)

I think there most likely wouldn't be enough people that wanted nubless units to warrant the trouble of producing them. You may argue that it's no trouble to produce units without nubs, but it would need either a new faceplate design to remove the holes at great cost, or the snap-in circles that you mentioned, but even something so simple would still have to be custom designed, moulds made, protoypes etc and it could cost them thousands. You're also introducing the potential to have a lot of stock sat around if the demand for nubbed units far outweighs the nubless, or vice-versa.

I could see that they may well be interested in selling units with failed nubs occasionally if there was a demand, but they would either have the nubs still attached or just gaping holes. Also, from what I've gleaned, it would be extremely difficult for an average person to attempt to solder their own nubs on.

Since OP have ridden the Nub-Coaster to the finish now, there shouldn't be any more nub related delays for future units. I guess if any future users really didn't want them they could, in the spirit of the project, remove them themselves and fill in the holes.

Back