Release Ommpc 0.5.3

Coder_TimT

Well, it's been awhile, but I finally have a new version of OMMPC ready.

• Removed OMMPC's ability to change the cpu speed. Not working out in the multitasking environment.
  • Changes to settings screen to put paths at top to make it clear they need set at first launch. Also validate path before saving to help avoid non-starts after changing paths.
  • Scrobbling via mpdscribbler.

The main changes for this version deal with scrobbling. I've included mpdscribbler and am controlling it via the Ommpc UI. Enter username/pass on the setting screen and turn scrobbling on and it will kick off whenever you start up ommpc and shut down when you exit.
Let me know how it works for you...

Well, it's been awhile, but I finally have a new version of OMMPC ready. Figured I would go ahead and cross post over here also.

For the completely uninitiated, OMMPC is One More MPD Client. So at it's core is a front end for the Music Player Daemon(MPD). However, for the supported portable devices it runs on it's more than that. It includes a standalone version of MPD that the UI controls, so you don't have to worry about setting up and configuring MPD, it's all done within the application itself. Just start it up, point it to your music, update the library and play. One caveat...MPD doesn't like it when WIFI is on but not connected. So you need to either be connected via WIFI or toggle WIFI off completely.

This version also adds mpdscribbler to talk to Last.fm...along with a couple other little things...

• Removed OMMPC's ability to change the cpu speed. Not working out in the multitasking environment.
  • Changes to settings screen to put paths at top to make it clear they need set at first launch. Also validate path before saving to help avoid non-starts after changing paths.
  • Scrobbling via mpdscribbler.

The main changes for this version deal with scrobbling. I've included mpdscribbler and am controlling it via the Ommpc UI. Enter username/pass on the setting screen and turn scrobbling on and it will kick off whenever you start up ommpc and shut down when you exit.
Let me know how it works for you...

Grab it from Openhandhelds or get it here.
Also just FYI, if you using MPD with any other client and are looking for a scrobbling solution, you can grab mpdscribbler out of the pnd and use it...it has a Pandora specific fix to correct for the way timezone's are handled by the OS, I know that was an issue with some other scrobbling solutions...

I've no damned clue what the hell scrobbling is :)

I'm guessing from a <5second google run -- when playing mp3s/etc on a scrobbling player, it will pass the ID3 tag info to the target (last.fm? your own server so you can display playlist info on your pc?) and the target can do something with it. (ie: in last.fm's case, they like to get stats on what people like, so they know to customize their playlist?)

Am I onto it or way off? And if I'm onto it, what purpose does scrobbling serve for you? Just stats, so you know which albums you played the most, or auto playlist-generation?

jeff

skeezix said:

I'm guessing from a <5second google run -- when playing mp3s/etc on a scrobbling player, it will pass the ID3 tag info to the target (last.fm? your own server so you can display playlist info on your pc?) and the target can do something with it. (ie: in last.fm's case, they like to get stats on what people like, so they know to customize their playlist?)

Am I onto it or way off? And if I'm onto it, what purpose does scrobbling serve for you? Just stats, so you know which albums you played the most, or auto playlist-generation?

jeff

You are correct in what it does. For me I use it for stats (I know most music players can do this by themselves but its nice to collect it into one source) but also to find similar artists and (more importantly) people that like the same music as me and go to the same festivals. Also the groups are pretty nice. Its actually one of few social type sites I use to get information about the music I play, find out if bands are touring, find out if my friends are going to concerts etc.

But now it does not reflect my true listening habbit since I miss all the songs I play in the train.

also see my signature :D

Hooray for the timezone fix! does mpdscribbler also cache songs when you are offline? And another question if I installed a previous version can I just delete the pnd (and not the appdata) and put the new pnd there. Will it then retain the previous settings?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosbeetle said:
skeezix said:

jeff

You are correct in what it does. For me I use it for stats (I know most music players can do this by themselves but its nice to collect it into one source) but also to find similar artists and (more importantly) people that like the same music as me and go to the same festivals. Also the groups are pretty nice. Its actually one of few social type sites I use to get information about the music I play, find out if bands are touring, find out if my friends are going to concerts etc.

But now it does not reflect my true listening habbit since I miss all the songs I play in the train.

also see my signature :D

Hooray for the timezone fix! does mpdscribbler also cache songs when you are offline? And another question if I installed a previous version can I just delete the pnd (and not the appdata) and put the new pnd there. Will it then retain the previous settings?

Missed the edit...

Yes, mpdscribbler caches until you get back online...Don't know how much it will cache...might be in some doc somewhere. But I did try it for a couple of songs and it reported them when I connected back... Yep, you should be able to just throw the new pnd file in there...

Coder_TimT said:
Missed the edit...

Yes, mpdscribbler caches until you get back online...Don't know how much it will cache...might be in some doc somewhere. But I did try it for a couple of songs and it reported them when I connected back... Yep, you should be able to just throw the new pnd file in there...

Thanks alot, will try it soon :)

Back