Open Pandora restarting from sudden moves or bumps

Asatiir

Hello,

I've been lurking for a long time and only been posting since yesterday. I have this problem where my OpenPandora would restart whenever it has a small bump, like if I drop it on the bed or if I don't set it on the table light enough.

My guess is that how loose the battery is in its compartment, I've padded that with some glue tack and that helped a tiny bit. The problem still persists, I was wondering if anyone else is facing the same problem or has any solution for it, I've been searching the forums for a while and it doesn't seem like anyone else is facing it.

hum, lose cable? cracked solder joint?

edit: assuming it's really not the battery of course... it's still the major risk for this kind of issues

Last edited by a moderator:
I have put a strip of cardboard in between battery and case lid. It stopped the reboots but now the back lid is cracked and I have to tape the cover to the case. I now again get reboots with every bump.

Probably the best solution would be to put foamy stick tape on the battery, but I havent found it in the local hardware store, and I would need to get a replacement back cover anyway.

It is a frustrating design bug in the Pandora. I hope the Pyra has a tighter fitting battery, or maybe dual connectors so that there is less chance of losing connection.

Pyra might also be able to include a capacitor to buffer the current, so that a minor disconnect wouldnt interrupt electric power.

well, I'd personally prefer to have some leads and a connector to my battery rather than spring contact like it's on the pandora...

Yep, I've got a few small bundles of paper to hold the battery from moving about.

A leaded connector would have solved the Pandora's problem, but every other case manufacturer out there has been able to make spring contacts work. It's just because the battery compartment is too big and not well enough padded that we have the problem.

I've not heard anything from ED about the idea of using a (super)capacitor to buffer the battery. Was there something in some hot-swapping thread I've missed? I'm not convinced it would have helped in the Pandora's case anyway - when I started using rolled up bits of paper was the first time I took my Pandora anywhere by bicycle. Evidently the battery had swung round in such a way as to misalign the contacts entirely, and after a handful attempts to open the battery cover and reseat the battery and failing when assembling the cover, decided to try wedging it in place with folded pieces of paper.

Since then it's worked fine 100% of the time, although I do have to be very careful in getting the battery cover off now. It feels like if I were to pull it straight off I'd probably lose one of the fixed tabs at the bottom, so I have to unclip it and ease it over the battery instead.

even when I have it turned off it decides to turn on even when it's not moving anywhere, this is kind of driving me nuts.

Problem is the battery doesn't make contact with the connectors without the padding, which is weird

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

even when I have it turned off it decides to turn on even when it's not moving anywhere, this is kind of driving me nuts.

Is this with the charger plugged in? if so, that's how it acts by design as the Pandora needs to be on to charge properly.. which is the same as any cell phone.. just the Pandora doesn't have a minimal charging mode that most phones have.

That's the thing, it's not plugged in, I'm aware that it automatically turns on whenever it's plugged

^okay hmm.., I do know that when you insert the battery it will automatically boot. My guess you still have some intermittent connection to the battery in some form. Is the battery swollen in a place that's preventing proper contact?

I was guessing the battery might have some deformity despite not being damage. I have a spare battery lying around, I guess I will try that one later.

Back