Release Open source scrolling shooters

iain.dalton

Still Fresh
Are there any barriers to running Chromium or OpenTyrian on Pandora? And are there any shooters people have said they plan to port?

For Open Source games of this genre, I also recommend Kenta Cho / ABA Games.

Official ABA Games site
This site features Linux ports of his games

Transcend is another game a bit similar to Kenta Cho games.

Enemy Lines is a series of abstract shooter games, most of them arcade shooter ones.

The Ur-Quan Masters (Star Control 2) has a nice networked multiplayer space shooting, called melee mode.

Cylindrix seems a nice retro 3D space shooting game.

Kobo Deluxe is an improved version of the XKobo game.

You will find tons of interesting Open Source arcade shooting games by finding out there. Sourcefiles and FreshMeat seems nice resources to start finding :)

yeah, so it looks like the first thing we shooter-fans need to do is get a port of the D programming language done .. ;)

Which game is written in D?

Also, abstract shooters may be fun, but I think the old-fashioned ones are best, like Tyrian. I used to play Deimos Rising on the Mac, so I'm drawn to the nicely detailed ones. I look forward to the Tyrian port. surt or whoever does it: thanks.

iain said:

Also, abstract shooters may be fun, but I think the old-fashioned ones are best, like Tyrian. I used to play Deimos Rising on the Mac, so I'm drawn to the nicely detailed ones. I look forward to the Tyrian port. surt or whoever does it: thanks.
Many of Kenta Cho's games are. Seeing as how there's a GNU D compiler, I don't suppose they would be hard to port.

iain said:

Deimos Rising is the best.

Unrelated, but I hope to put BasiliskII on Pandora so I can play the Ambrosia Software games that ran on m68k macs (doesn't include Deimos, but Mars Rising and Ares will run).

due to the Pandora only having OpenGL ES and Chromium using proper OpenGL it'll take a bit more time to mod the code so it'll compile. There's no 3d rendering so it shouldn't take too long i believe.

With a very minimal amount of work, Duke Nukem 3d and Quake 2 will work right away on the pandora, these games have already been compiled for the ARM architechture and they run fineeven on omap2. When that's done there's plenty of other open-source linux FPSs we can compile like Alien Arena, Neuxis and soooo many more.

I would like some of the cactus soft games on my pandora. cactus-soft.co.nr in case you're wondering. Clean Asia is great.

Back