Os9x - Ntsc Vs Pal Carts

skysnapper

sleep is for wimps
Website
Visit site
Just been playing Both the Pal and the NTSC versions of

GP32 clocked at 166

Super Mario World(PAL/NTSC) - fs 1 no noticable difference

Contra III (NTSC)/Super Probotector (PAL) - NTSC fs 1 smooth (well impressed) / PAL really Jerky

Now i know PAL games always ran slower than there NTSC counterparts due them running at 50hz rather than NTSC 60hz, just suprised to see such a difference seeing them run via an emulator.

What have you guys found?

Anyway my batteries are now flat and waiting to recharge so no chance to test anything else out this evening..
....going to sort through my collection instead so just wondering whether to chuck the PAL stuff out and keep the NTSC games.

cheers
:D

Ps YoYo and co.. great emulator was quite pleasently suprised to see Contra 3 run soo smoothly :D

Pal games also run more slowly as they are slightly higher resolution therefore slightly more detail in the display. More detail = more work for cpu.Whether emulated or not

FRIBBLE posted on Feb 18 2004 at 10:25 PM said:
Pal games also run more slowly as they are slightly higher resolution therefore slightly more detail in the display. More detail = more work for cpu.Whether emulated or not
There was no higher resolution for PAL SNES games, only ugly borders and less speed. You cannot raise easily 2D games resolution so it was not done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure i remember there were a few pal releases that were borderless. I.ee some of the games which were pridcued by UK developrer and released over here first.

Maybe i'm wrong

skysnapper posted on Feb 18 2004 at 10:47 PM said:
I'm sure i remember there were a few pal releases that were borderless. I.ee some of the games which were pridcued by UK developrer and released over here first.

Maybe i'm wrong
Yeah, a few games did. They were exceptions, rather than the rule though.

The PAL version of Street Fighter II was horrible... 12.5% slower and with absolutely massive borders. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, this topic is REALLY Usefull. Are there any other games that have a significant faster NTSC version available?

Back