Otoy Cloud Gaming On Ipad

I dunno. I have tried this services streaming directly from my PC at my lan and the results aren't good (for me). I doubt that over the internet is going to be any better.

VRAndy said:
b1llygo4t said:
the reason people get lag in online play is because some people have low or intermittent internet connections. if i lived in japan i could justify the subscription since web is free and 10x speeds here in the states.

Fun fact : Round-Trip speed of light delay from Los Angeles to Tokyo == 58.8006787 milliseconds
[sarcarsm]But I'm sure that soon new technologies will achieve delays even lower than that!!![/sarcasm] :lol:

I don't know what kind of market they are targetting with this. Depending on location of servers, a large part of the world will always remain cut off from using this services. It seems kinda counter productive, since the beauty of the Internet is to be able to have world-wide reach and thus have massive potential for growth.

I have no hopes of ever being able to use one such service, with 120~200ms round trip to US servers make MMOs barely tolerable. And my country is such a small market that having servers here probably wouldn't be profitable.

If anything, this service would operate more like telecom services, one (or a few) company having near monopoly of service for a region, hugely overpricing it (the advantage of monopoly) and focusing on capturing customers and locking them in as strongly as possible, then enjoy years and years of subscriptions fees in return.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys all set some high standards. I play FPS with a ping of about 300ms on a daily basis. Mount and Blade: Warbands is worse, it often has a ping of 450+.

Wolenber said:
You guys all set some high standards. I play FPS with a ping of about 300ms on a daily basis. Mount and Blade: Warbands is worse, it often has a ping of 450+.
Modern FPS games have technologies to hide the lag. Player positions are predicted based on their current movement. Your own character's special effects and physics can be handled locally (and then corrected later if there's a problem.)

If you're just pushing video through the pipes you won't get any of these advantages. Imagine moving your mouse and it's 300ms before the screen reacts! You'd never aim properly.

Besides that, the bandwidth a FPS game uses is very low. You start pushing fullscreen video through there your latency will go up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back