Overclocking Issue

davek22

Still Fresh
Guys, getting my GP32 on Friday after seeing it in UK mag CVG. The piece was titled "GBA Killer!"...went on to describe a piece of kit that runs emus of old games. Now I got an Ipaq with stacks of Emus n roms etc but it runs Megadrive and Snes at an appalingly slow frame rate (10-15 max). Have been round the GP32 sites and read comments how the GP32 emus can run Snes fast without sound etc which is cool. And i just seen the new Megadrive emu on the news page that looks HOT!!
Anyways i just read a post on another thread about overclocking the cpu (66mghz but overclockable up to 133?) with the wrong programs can knacker your GP screen? Can anyone give me an idea on which programs/emus to avoid for this?? Scumm is one but are there any more that anyone knows of?
While I rambling....why has nobody pushed this system??? It seems like the perfect handheld for me as amassive fan of old pc engine/snes games. Anyway kee p up the good work with this site and I will show my GP round my mates when I get it and spread the word!!

You can safely overclock to 133MhZ no prob :) but at anything higher it will crash (temporary damage) and can damage the LCD (permanet damage) so don't put anything over 133MhZ for more than 10min every 2 days (this is my rule, but there might be a better more informed one somewhere else :p) Also, get the SCUMMVM labeled 132MhZ especially, there is one, the other can damage your gp32.

There's two other proggies I know of - GPengine allows you to overclock up to 160MHz - but its not there by default and isn't needed.

And the 1st demo of GPMP runs at 160MHz... the second demo runs at a more acceptable 133MHz :)

Tobriand posted on May 20 2003 said:
There's two other proggies I know of - GPengine allows you to overclock up to 160MHz - but its not there by default and isn't needed.

And the 1st demo of GPMP runs at 160MHz... the second demo runs at a more acceptable 133MHz :)
Two things:

Some GP32s don't crash at 166Mhz. Mine doesn't.

If you select 60fps in GPengine (effectively frameskip 0) you will only get full speed at 166Mhz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok fellas cheers for that...just to clarify though..GPEngine is safe to use at 132mghz??

yep

Except you'll lose hours of your life, they'll just like disappear!

MrT

Back