Pandora As A Wearable Computer

VRAndy said:
Problem with wearables is decent displays.
Where are the small, see-through HUD displays that science fiction has promised us?
right

here

Last edited by a moderator:
These small HUD's are forever either in use by the military, or in ultra high end applications.
Not cheap, but there are some examples out there:

BMW F1 racing helmet
http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/racing/f1/head-up_display.htm
8670_1024.jpg

Microvision HUD for cars:
http://www.microvision.com/vehicle_display...p_displays.html
And a bake your own HUD projector will need one of these:
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prod...p?number=G13751
Also found this:
http://jakeofalltrades.wordpress.com/2007/...ounted-display/

Although a pandora/beagleboard would be cool, and I realize this is a pandora forum, but the wearable computer benefits from being a real computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813121342
pros: way faster, x86 compatiblity, more ports, supports external video card for nice gfx, way cheaper
cons: uses 6 times as much power, is bigger

You could always switch boards when you want, and keep the same USB hub, HMD, webcam, battery, etc.

enigmacipher said:
Although a pandora/beagleboard would be cool, and I realize this is a pandora forum, but the wearable computer benefits from being a real computer.

pros: way faster, x86 compatiblity, more ports, supports external video card for nice gfx, way cheaper

You could always switch boards when you want, and keep the same USB hub, HMD, webcam, battery, etc.

I don't see that being much faster than the cortex at full speed, x86 is nice but not really an advantage at those clockspeeds, also SD is smaller and more shock resistant.and for a wearable ARM also has the big power advantage. ;)

Im certainly not saying it's not good, in fact i think it's very interesting :) just not as a wearable

enigmacipher said:

There's the big problem, as you identified it.
Being able to do lots of stuff without lots of batteries is key, and the Pandora or Beagleboard fit the bill.

enigmacipher said:
but the wearable computer benefits from being a real computer.

Explain how.

Some interesting posts.

In around 3 years we should start seeing decent non-occluded (transparent) HMDs that are a lot less bulky, probably based on OLED but basically a development of existing things. It's at this point that I feel wearables will truly become viable, I just want a head start so am happy with the current ugly kludge of using a webcam as my eyes. It's the generation after OLED that is really interesting, when lasers will paint the image directly on the retina. There are already products that do this but they are nowhere near affordable yet.

I'm really not interested in x86, unless you want compatibility with Windows software (which I don't, I've not used windows in 8 years) it's simply not required. ARM is a much more elegant architecture, x86 is (IMO) only still being developed because an accident of history allowed it to grab a huge share of the market.

I really like your idea and been planing myself for some time now to do something similar.
I am, however, not quite contempt with spending ~200€ on a HMD that is basically crap. MAybe if I can get one cheap at ebay, but I would much rather have a one eye translucent display. EyeTap anyone? :-D

CC_machine said:
beagleboard != Pandora. they're similiar, but i hear "beaglebard apps will have to be ported over to Pandora". not sure to be honest.
That is interesting, but Angstrom for the beagleboard will be the Pandora's "full OS", and they are both able to use the S-Video the same (for an HMD that is probably the best.)

If you are already getting a Pandora then keep on with that :)

If you are cool with wearing a big helmet you could mount the Pandora to the helmet ;), but that is a little too geeky.

I am quite interested in a "console" version of the Pandora (can't afford the real one, and don't use it out of the house anyway, + would rather use with a projector.)

On the subject of an ITX board, I like the D201GLY2 Little Valley board with the Conroe-L, it has a heck of a lot more processing power than the stupid Atom (Core2 vs re-imagined Pentium MMX). But I don't think it is proper for a wearable PC either way, a mini-laptop like the Eeepc without the screen or keyboard might do it for me.

nubie said:
I am quite interested in a "console" version of the Pandora (can't afford the real one, and don't use it out of the house anyway, + would rather use with a projector.)
I've been wanting to build a nice small all-in-one console emulator for a long time. I've used my mediapc and MAME cabinet for that task for a while, but I'd really love to have something smaller with low power draw. I thought about using a Beagleboard for it, but there are a few small issues that give me pause (requires powered USB hub, no integrated Bluetooth/LAN/wireless, casing).

A Pandora without the keyboard/controls/LCD/speakers/battery would pretty much be the perfect device. Hell, even with the same case... just use the bottom part of it and make the keyboard/control face smooth. I'm not sure how much that would reduce manufacturing cost, but it'd easily be worth $200 to me. I'm sure I'm in the minority there though... probably not enough interest to be considered.

/derail off

I also am *very* interested in wearable computing. I owned a few HMD's years back and geeked out plenty on Doug Engelbart's work and the MIT "Cyborgs". Please, keep us posted on your progress.

For input, I was always impressed with the Twiddler line of one hand keyboard/mouse devices. Unfortunately, they've run into a snag with the new Twiddler 3 that aimed to be Bluetooth and it may never be made.

Another idea I've considered is the Alphagrip. The goal being the ability to type while moving which is very hard on an arm mounted keyboard. Ultimately voice input would be best, but I haven't found anything that I'm happy with just yet.

butscharoni said:
EyeTap anyone? :-D

I'm aware of it but AFAIK they aren't available to the public yet, and if they were I expect they would be very expensive. It's a shame, it would be ideal.

nubie said:
If you are cool with wearing a big helmet you could mount the Pandora to the helmet ;), but that is a little too geeky.

Agreed :)

Foehammer said:
Please, keep us posted on your progress.

Of course at but it will be some time before I have anything of interest to report. The exception is a review of the HMD which I plan to post in this thread soon after I get it.

Foehammer said:
For input, I was always impressed with the Twiddler line of one hand keyboard/mouse devices. Unfortunately, they've run into a snag with the new Twiddler 3 that aimed to be Bluetooth and it may never be made.

Another idea I've considered is the Alphagrip. The goal being the ability to type while moving which is very hard on an arm mounted keyboard. Ultimately voice input would be best, but I haven't found anything that I'm happy with just yet.

I'm aware of Twiddler, but even if they made the V3 bluetooth it's a problem for me. One of my criteria for this rig is that it will not 'leak' RF emissions, this is why I'm using USB for everything so far. If I'm gonna be a cyborg I don't wanna be a hackable cyborg :)

I've not seen the Alphagrip before, it looks very nice. It is however a bit bulky and it uses 2 hands. I see the Pandora itself serving as a two handed input device, although I accept it won't be nearly as good for text entry as the Alphagrip.

My thinking on text entry is as follows, any comments or criticism are welcome.
  • The Pandora will be available for two handed use when a physical qwerty keyboard is desired.
  • If I can make something using the webcam that's akin to the $2 touchpad link I posted above then a full virtual keyboard should be possible, one where you use your real fingers to type on a full qwerty (or whatever) keyboard that is superimposed on the HMD. I'm aware that this won't be easy but I think it's worth trying.
  • I have an old gamepad that I can (hopefully) turn into a one handed chorded keyboard. There's a linux driver available for just this kind of thing, and back in the 80s I had an Agenda so I'm already familiar with the Microwriter method. Add one of the gamepad's analog sticks as a pointing device and I should have something useful.

Foehammer said:
A Pandora without the keyboard/controls/LCD/speakers/battery would pretty much be the perfect device. Hell, even with the same case... just use the bottom part of it and make the keyboard/control face smooth. I'm not sure how much that would reduce manufacturing cost, but it'd easily be worth $200 to me. I'm sure I'm in the minority there though... probably not enough interest to be considered.
I quit. I don't understand the "strip down Pandora" mentality, and I never will.

$149.00 -- BeagleBoard
$19.99 --AA to mini USB Battery Holder
$9.95 -- Generic Plastic Project Case
_________
= $178.94

Seriously, it's the same thing. What Craigix and friends are doing is using this technology to build a handheld computer with gaming controls. If you don't need any of that stuff, then why wait for them to finish building it?

Parts list for example only. I'm not 100% sure that's exactly what you'd want to actually buy.

My only problem with using the Pandora keyboard (or any thumb keyboard) for a wearable is trying to type on it while not watching the keys. I guess I haven't used them enough to quickly type on them without a lot of errors. I use the keyboard on my OQO a lot while I'm walking, but I have to look down at it a lot. With an HMD, I'd rather be looking forward.

Ideally, I'd love a one handed input device (like the chord key device you mention) with some form of thumb based trackball or trackpoint. There's a pretty slick looking glove out there that looks promising. Doesn't have the integrated mouse input, but the trackpad device you mention looks like a good way to handle that.

VRAndy said:
$149.00 -- BeagleBoard
$19.99 --AA to mini USB Battery Holder
$9.95 -- Generic Plastic Project Case
_________
= $178.94

Seriously, it's the same thing. What Craigix and friends are doing is using this technology to build a handheld computer with gaming controls. If you don't need any of that stuff, then why wait for them to finish building it?

I know... I know... it's just the subtle differences. I'm *very* close to grabbing a Beagleboard for this. I'm just saying that it'd be worth an extra $50 to me to be able to use the exact same board with the integrated bluetooth/wifi and dual SDHC slots and wrapped up in a nice custom case that's attractive. I absolutely do not expect the dev team to spend any time on this as you could probably count the folks interested in such a thing on one hand. =P

Oh yea, I'd forgotten that the Beagle doesn't have built-in wifi. Still, a slim USB hub and a couple of dongles could bring you up to the Pandora's full spec.

I got the touchpad today, that's pretty fast delivery considering it came from the US. It's pretty much what I expected although I was pleasantly surprised with the build quality, some of the pics in the website make it look a bit tacky and I'm always wary of things that use slick marketing. I opted for the small version and I'm glad I did, the large one would be too big I think.

I have emailed the seller asking if there is any way to get access to the raw numbers from the device, or get one that allows that feature. As it stands it's ideal for mouse emulation but if I want to use it as a keyboard then that nice friendly firmware is just going to get in my way. I'm not complaining, I knew that would be the case before I ordered it, but it's such a nice item that I may as well ask :)

Klepto said:
If I can make something using the webcam that's akin to the $2 touchpad link I posted above then a full virtual keyboard should be possible, one where you use your real fingers to type on a full qwerty (or whatever) keyboard that is superimposed on the HMD. I'm aware that this won't be easy but I think it's worth trying.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this idea, although what's in that video looks significantly more complex than what I was thinking.

Back