Pandora Dev vs Development section

Yannick

Just noticed the new "Development Section"

does this mean "Pandora Dev" will be removed? In my opinion it is redundant now

btw, Assembler? lumped togheter with c++ ? you must be kidding??? java/c++ would make a better couple (don't do that either)

I would recommend adding a Graphics/Art-work sub-forum as well, to make a game you need more than code/libraries

Good artists must be cought and caged on sight, or they run away. Make them feel at home too.

**to mods:

Please move my Qt thread to C++ subforum

In case of a Graphics/Art-work sub-forum, move my "2D nature tileset" thread as well

Otherwise, good move, i'll be hanging around there

I've no idea where those forums came from or who set them up (I also don't think they make much sense).

Last edited by a moderator:
well, the pandora dev section could be for projects like mine, and stuff like that, and the other ones for more technical specific issues. That's the way i interpreted it at least. dunno...

Edit: Forum with random mutation function, pretty nifty i must say ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My recommendation:

python/pygame

C/C++

GL-ES Shaders

Sound / Bitmaps / Models

Game creation kits

python is verry popular for gamedev, it deserves it's own forum

C/C++ covers pretty much everything that's possible on linux

Shaders could use a dedicated forum because nobody knows how to do them (nobody is a relative term here)

Artists need a place to hang around as well so they could share

For game creation kits, we could need a forum to help them set up for pandora, but each such program prolly has a better forum already

New upgrades to the development section *woot*

I still don't think the forum titles are picked by a programmer

Free e-beer for the first person to write a glide accelerated rotating cube howto in ARM assembler

Thanks for your suggestions. I created the forums since some devs asked me to do that as it would be really helpful for them.

Developing is an important part for the Pandora, and there are far more than one language :)

I now moved them into subforums to make the board look less cluttered.

Any other suggestions and ideas are welcome :)

I think it's a good start. If there begins to be some developement in other languages (gambas? freepascal? lua? bash? :p ) a new subforum can be created.

One thing I'd like to see, if it's possible, is an "All Development" section. It would include links to all posts in all the development sub forums. The point would be to quickly find a topic if one's forgotten if it were in say...c/c++ or shaders.

One thing I'd like to see, if it's possible, is an "All Development" section. It would include links to all posts in all the development sub forums. The point would be to quickly find a topic if one's forgotten if it were in say...c/c++ or shaders.
You can use the search by pointing on the Development parent forum, it will search through subforums by default (though I couldn't a toggle to make it not look in child forums).

The search is less crappy than on GP32X, but it still sucks.

As an test, I searched for "tool" and found nothing, but "tools" returned 3 threads...

I'm always dreaming of search engines using RegEx :(

Generally speaking I think it's better to add sections when their need becomes apparent, not predict.

Inevitably there will be sections that never get used.

python is verry popular for gamedev, it deserves it's own forum

C/C++ covers pretty much everything that's possible on linux
I'm not sure if language specific sections are that necessary?

There are already good resources and forums for game development in those languages.

All we really need is help for Pandora specific stuff.

Shaders could use a dedicated forum because nobody knows how to do them (nobody is a relative term here)
I think perhaps a "Libraries" section, which includes all work on things like SDL, OpenGL ES etc.

Artists need a place to hang around as well so they could share
Definitely, but I think a better name might be something like "Game Assets".

You can use the search by pointing on the Development parent forum, it will search through subforums by default (though I couldn't a toggle to make it not look in child forums).

The search is less crappy than on GP32X, but it still sucks.

As an test, I searched for "tool" and found nothing, but "tools" returned 3 threads...

I'm always dreaming of search engines using RegEx :(

Just use a wildcard, ie tool* will return results for tool, tools, etc.

Back