Pandora Emulator?

Jourdy288

Hey, is it possible to emulate a Pandora on a PC? I know that you can't do it the other way around due to the ARM processor, but what about Pandora on PC?

But... most of the apps will likely be ports of, or have equivalents of, apps available on the PC?

Lylep said:
But... most of the apps will likely be ports of, or have equivalents of, apps available on the PC?

Don't think it will happen soon, but an emulator would be extremely useful for developing for the Pandora :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am sure that you can have a tool chain that can cross compile to test in the x86 environment with some virtual components

Kloplop321 said:
Well I am sure that you can have a tool chain that can cross compile to test in the x86 environment with some virtual components

Erm, yah. I'd probably get it done, but that's not very beginner friendly. And an emulator would be nice to play around with anyway ;) But again, no time soon i suppose.

Synopsys do a software simulation of the omap3, but that costs $$$$.

But, lets face it, do we really need one? I don't think so. Most people will be using Linux, and thus the hardware will be abstracted. Therefore you can use SDL and run the same app on the Pandora as a PC, with just a recompile. If you don't use SDL, then the chances are your not hitting any hardware, so it'll recompile for a PC Linux quite easily.

Thanks guys now I just need to look up these terms... cross-compile, tool chain, etc.
I shall learn!

Kloplop321 said:
Wikipedia should lead you in the correct direction for things like this.
Just where I'm headed.

It is a lot of work to make this sort of emulator from scratch.
The benefits are there, and I would appreciate an emulator for Pandora, but the benefits are less since the Pandora is WiFi enabled.
Some uses are if you are wanting to see if you compiled code would work on the hardware and you are last on the list of orders for Pandora... :p

Seriously though I think that the Pandora is going to be easy enough to develop for, as is and many of us are trying to make game development a little bit easier to get started. :)

Wow, thank you.
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but will head-to-head multiplayer be available for the Pandora in addition to online?

Back