Pandora OS on PandaBoard

well, as far as I know, the Pandora runs on the angstrom distribution, but probably modified.

If you look on their Online image builder, the Pandaboard is one of the supported devices.

Holy crap, thats a OMAP4 board! That is a desktop replacement, well, would work for me since my monitor is 1080p. When did that hit the market? I thought there wouldn't be any OMAP4 dev boards this year!

EDIT: It is, it even outputs auido through HDMI, makes things a ton easier for XBMC. It also has a gig of memory, it will run so so so much more than the Beagle Board could. It also comes with like everything from what I can tell.

I'm really tempted to order this right now, I think the Beagle Board was just on the boarder of being powerful enough to be used in a ton of projects, this will probably sell a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone found a case?
I'm thinking it is a little too new to have a case, the BeagleBoard didn't get those acrylic cases for a year of being out. No, you'll have to get by with standoffs you make yourself because it doesn't come with them and I can't see where to buy them on their site.

I might wait for the second board revision, hopefully they'll cut the height down a little, stacking the Ethernet on the double USB makes it a little 'fat'. The software looks there as far as Ubuntu goes though, I hope other start posting youtube videos though, and get Gentoo running. XBMC also, that would be the deal breaker for me, XBMC at 2-4 watts.

Damn time to trade up my beagleboard.. With Wifi and bluetooth built on.. I can see so many portable uses, my goal with the Beagleboard was to create a small PC that I could put in a small box and attach directly to the VESA mount of a lcd TV or LCD monitor.. With Wifi and bluetooth and ethernet built on the pandaboard it's pretty slick.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a Pandora (next gen or something) ever ships with something remotely similar to this I'd buy three.

I'm sure there is a Pelican case that can be retro-fitted to house one of these boards. Have they really begun shipping these?

I think so, if you click some of the links below people have them right now. They might have been devs getting the first few but they don't sound it. Too bad this didn't make it out before Google Summer of Code, XBMC would be running on it already.

Oh wow, when did this happen. Last time I looked there were pre-orders for high profile projects only.

This thing is going to be a beast :D

I was just thinking, if some Pandora devs bought this right now and everything they get running on the Pandora they made sure runs on this also, first porting the Pandora OS, then when the Pandora team is ready to put out the Pandora2 the OS will be ready. Just a thought. . .

I'm thinking it is a little too new to have a case, the BeagleBoard didn't get those acrylic cases for a year of being out. No, you'll have to get by with standoffs you make yourself because it doesn't come with them and I can't see where to buy them on their site.
This guy seems to be working on a nice one.

If only there was some way to get the nubs to work on that thing....we could make our own Pandora's with that thing.

Correct me if Im wrong (I probably am), but I believe CircuitCo who make the PCB for the Pandora , also make the Panda Board. Check this link http://www.youtube.com/user/Circuitco

Am I dreaming this ?, is this some weird coincidence but not the same thing ? or is it true that CircuitCo make both the Pandora PCB and the Panda Board?

they also make the beagleboard, theres a reason they were advised by TI to OPT to use them

I think so, if you click some of the links below people have them right now. They might have been devs getting the first few but they don't sound it. Too bad this didn't make it out before Google Summer of Code, XBMC would be running on it already.

I have one, and I'm not one of their prototype devs. There was a back order on Digi-Key when I ordered, some time ago. It's a nice little board.

Back