Pandora Redesign

A

appdirect

I think it would be a good idea to make a Pandora alternative design that could make the manufacturing costs cheaper, it was inspired by the 2DS, here is a rough sketch of it:

23t8aLv.png

It doesn't have foldable parts, but it could be bundled with carrying case, it would be an interesting alternative.

What are your thoughts about it?

A similar design been discussed in the Pandora Successor thread. It wasn't well received, but feel free to sign up for an account on this forum and argue for it in that section. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the cases are one of the cheapest parts, you might save maybe $20 off manufacturing with the simplified design, hardly enough to justify the feature loss I think.

From what I recall, most of the cost is in the electronics: the screen, the processor, the board population. The only way to reduce these costs is to use inferior tech.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy one if it's not clamshell and if it has anything to do with the damn 2DS.  You know you can have this design now if you just open the P1 180 degree  :p .  Like this 

tU8dInP.jpg

Could be nice if it was a foldable protector for the screen, doubling as an antenna.

But that makes it complex again, also as mentioned, isnt good for portability. The ability to angle the screen without doing the same with your hands is an ergonomic feature.

There is however no reason why you couldn't make a case like that, you are even encouraged to.

Also the cases are one of the cheapest parts, you might save maybe $20 off manufacturing with the simplified design, hardly enough to justify the feature loss I think.

From what I recall, most of the cost is in the electronics: the screen, the processor, the board population. The only way to reduce these costs is to use inferior tech.
As WizardStan says the cost of the high cost of the Pandora is not due to the case design. If this was the case then your suggestion would be worthy of consideration. Please note that the current high cost of the Pandora (when looking at the components used) is in a large part due to high profits / unit sold being required to pay for past problems with production.

It doesn't have foldable parts, but it could be bundled with carrying case, it would be an interesting alternative.
 That defeats all the purpose of portability.
I agree. But, you would probably wind up with increased durability, assuming you put it into a proper hard case.

That being said, I'd rather have a 7" Pandora if we're giving up on portability.

That defeats all the purpose of portability.
I agree. But, you would probably wind up with increased durability, assuming you put it into a proper hard case.

That being said, I'd rather have a 7" Pandora if we're giving up on portability.
A desktop will also give you durability :)

Back