Pandora to Windows 7 PC

gary_ramsgate

Still Fresh
Is there an easy way to connect the Pandora to a Windows 7 PC over a wireless network?

I would like to be able to transfer video's and music to my Pandora, without having to use a USB cable.

Is there an easy way to connect the Pandora to a Windows 7 PC over a wireless network?

I would like to be able to transfer video's and music to my Pandora, without having to use a USB cable.

Pandora use sdcard as storage, so just plug your SD to your PC, and be done with this...

You should be able to use WinSCP as long as you can connect to the Pandora over SSH (i.e. nothing's blocking port 22). Note you might want to unzip the zip provided rather than the installer - it doesn't need any special installation, just unzip and go IIRC. SCP is secure, fast enough in my experience and doesn't need any special setup usually, and WinSCP is a decent graphical (and command line) SCP client.

I assume Pandora is running sshd by default, though I don't own one to check.

You should be able to use WinSCP as long as you can connect to the Pandora over SSH (i.e. nothing's blocking port 22). Note you might want to unzip the zip provided rather than the installer - it doesn't need any special installation, just unzip and go IIRC. SCP is secure, fast enough in my experience and doesn't need any special setup usually, and WinSCP is a decent graphical (and command line) SCP client.

I assume Pandora is running sshd by default, though I don't own one to check.

Have to be activated since HF3, but is a UI for that.

Also as of HF3 (or was it 2?) you can put your SD card in mass storage mode and plug the Pandora into your PC where it should be recognized as an external hard drive.

Why not just use Samba and Windows shares?
Samba seems to be damn slow for me.. I use it to transfer files between my computer and my laptop (both ubuntu.. I should try a linux file share or scp once...) - despite wiring the laptop up by cable, I only get transfer rates of about 8 mb/s

FileZilla Client is a nice Program for windows. You should be able to connect to your pandora via ssh. Just write "sftp://<IP of your pandora>" into the "Host" field.

FileZilla

I cant get these to work, when I put in my NAS box details into gigalo and click open nothing happens,

I would like an app which will sync a folder on my desktop/NAS to the SD card is this possible?

Yeah, Gigolo is broken in the firmware. This thread on the gp32x boards explains how to fix it. Specifically post #14.

When I had my Pandora I was able to stream music and movies from a windows share on my file server (through a wired connection, wifi through my router was way to slow). I also created a shared folder on my desktop with full read and write permissions for a user created specifically for my Pandora and n900, which made getting files on and off with out a usb cable pretty easy.

Once you have a shared folder mounted with Gigolo, I'm guessing there's some app or built-in Linux trick for keeping it synced with your SD card (or some other directory).

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just use Samba and Windows shares?

I cant get these to work, when I put in my NAS box details into gigalo and click open nothing happens,

I would like an app which will sync a folder on my desktop/NAS to the SD card is this possible?

I've always used command line for samba shares.. it's pretty easy. for some reason host names generally are flaky when used so I always use IP addresses. This is a typical connection to a password-less Windows share.

mount -t cifs -o username=guest,password= //192.168.0.100/files /mnt/temp/

Yeah, Gigolo is broken in the firmware. This thread on the gp32x boards explains how to fix it. Specifically post #14.

When I had my Pandora I was able to stream music and movies from a windows share on my file server (through a wired connection, wifi through my router was way to slow). I also created a shared folder on my desktop with full read and write permissions for a user created specifically for my Pandora and n900, which made getting files on and off with out a usb cable pretty easy.

Once you have a shared folder mounted with Gigolo, I'm guessing there's some app or built-in Linux trick for keeping it synced with your SD card (or some other directory).

I've always used command line for samba shares.. it's pretty easy. for some reason host names generally are flaky when used so I always use IP addresses. This is a typical connection to a password-less Windows share.

mount -t cifs -o username=guest,password= //192.168.0.100/files /mnt/temp/

Thanks Guys ill try these when I get back home from work, Does the pandora firmware support NFS sharing as AFAIK thats faster than SMB.

Got gigola working now, Thanks alot guys

How do you use nfs?

All I have used for nfs previously was xmount is that available on pandora? is there a GUI which will do it or will I need to put it in a script?

I've this in my pandora's /etc/fstab :

Code:
nas:/mnt/share	/mnt/share	nfs	defaults,soft,noauto	0	0

I'm using noauto as my pandora isn't always connected to my network. So when I want to use it I just :

Code:
sudo mount /mnt/share

Your /etc/exports and /etc/hosts.allow have to be set correctly on your nfs server too.

Back