Plastidip Joystick Mod

Lodis

Still Fresh
Quite some time ago I read about someone on this forum who gave their GP2X joystick a rubber coating called Plastidip.

After much frustration of the joystick slipping during play and how difficult I found it to do fireballs and dragon punches in the Snes emu, I decided to order some plastidip to try this simple mod out. A joystick is supposed to enhance gameplay, not limit it in my opinion.

I ordered from herePlasti-Dip Clear

I simply drilled a hole in a small rectangler plank of wood, removed the joystick top / cap from the GP2X and placed it firmly into the drilled hole (in the wood). I then gave the top and edges around the joystick a thin coating of clear plastidip using an old paint brush, left it to dry for approx 30 mins between each seperate coat and then gave it a further coating. In total I gave it about 5 coatings all together and left it to dry for much more than the recommended 4 hours (over night). I have just tried the joystick now and I am very pleased with the result. It has much needed grip, my thumb no longer slips and I it is easier to do fireballs and dragon punches for example. I just played Quake and it is so much more enjoyable so I recommend this simple joystick mod but im assuming it will void your warranty.

Should not (void warranty), opening the case will do that.

There are bazillion of stick mods out there, testament to the crappyness of the original... I wonder where I could get that stuff...

A pic would be nice, if possible. :)

I wonder if dipping the whole machine would better the grip? :blink: :eek: :ph34r:

I posted something about this a while ago...

They have spray on and paint on(dip) plasti-stuff. Dipping the whole thing is a pretty good idea, but you cant just go dipping willy-nilly. it'll look like shit.

Also, something to consider - the plasti dip leaves a residue on plastic, it just makes it look.... Clean.

I've used the spray stuff before on other things, and it goes on really thin. So thin that just to fill to bald spots on plastic you have to put 3 coats. It's made to bond to metal, so I don't think it will bond to plastic perfectly. If I was to try this I'd go with the liquid like Lodis did rather than the spray.

Thanx,
Stan

I used some plastic dip a while back. Just took off the stick, dipped it, waiting 10 minutes dipped it again for about 4 times. It does offer much improved grip but it performs best after about 5 minutes of usage when it's 'warmed up' and is slightly sticky. The stuff's quite strong though, there's no risk of it rubbing off unless you cut it

Back