Pandora PND packaging questions

moxie

The voice of reason, sense and exasperation
Staff member
Hi all!

I'm currently at the tail end of packaging up Peter Shorns altairz80, which is one of the emulators in the SIMH project. That is not a problem in itself - It is old, well written, absolutely simple code. Compiled without a hitch. However, I have a few newbie questions about the packing-up-as-a-pnd process.

* Is there a well-established way to make an application start in a terminal? At the moment I'm doing a simple xterm -e 'altairz80 cpm2' (where those last two is the command line to start the emulator), which works, but it complains about not finding proper fonts (also, xterm is kinda ugly). When I tried the same with terminal instead of xterm, I got a terminal but no running program. Is there a Right Thing to do here? Part of the problem is of course finding the right manpage to read :D

* The documentation opens in links by default. Altairz80 comes with some required docs (licenses, credits, and the technical description of things) as pdfs. To me, the natural thing to do is to write my own doc as a html file, and then link the pdfs from there. However, links is not very good with pdfs - It either downloads them or show the raw postscript code. Could this be handled in a way that allows the user to actually open the pdfs in evince?

Poking around a bit inside links, it looks like it ought to be possible to define content handlers for stuff, so that the solution to question two would be to add a file association to links. I suppose that is not something I ought to try to do from inside the pnd :)

I would find that enormously useful, though, and I suppose that it would be a generally good thing too (and evince is on the NAND anyways). Or? Should I pester ED about that, then?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would create a file (called .myrc), add the line 'altairz80 cpm2', then start the PND with

Code:
terminal -e "bash --rcfile .myrc"

Back